Third Party Press

Nazi Carcano - Model 91 Rifle, 1942 Terni

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
Pretty neat Hza stamped Volkssturm Carcano. Most of the ones I have run across have
been model 39 or 91 carbines. This is the first rifle variation I have found. Duffle cut at
front end.

Attachments

• carcano 001.jpg
    carcano 001.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 136
  • carcano 002.jpg
    carcano 002.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 132
  • carcano 003.jpg
    carcano 003.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 143
  • carcano 004.jpg
    carcano 004.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 118
  • carcano 005.jpg
    carcano 005.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 101
  • carcano 006.jpg
    carcano 006.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 109
  • carcano 007.jpg
    carcano 007.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 169
  • carcano 008.jpg
    carcano 008.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 149
Nice one bruce!!

whats the one with the bayo?

like this?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nazi Carcanos

TA thats a M91 Cavalry Carbine. Basically you will have 4 variations of these.

M91 Cav. Carbine, M91 Rifle, M38 Carbine and M38 Short Rifle.

The M38 Short Rifle is also the same variation as the gun Oswald used to assassinate Kennedy.

Also since when does it snow in June in Ill.!

I not much of a carcano guy, but wouldn't this actually be a M91/41? I think the original M91 was phased out in the 30's.

Last edited:
These are interesting rifles. Actually, the M.91 series had adjustable sights. These are M.38 series, or sometimes referred to as the M.91/38.

They were the M.91/38 or M.38 cavalry carbine (folding bayonet); M.91/38 or M.38 TS or Truppe Speciale (chopped version of the M.91 long); the M.91/38 or M.38 Short Rifle (Oswald rifle); and the M.41 rifle, as Bruce depicted. There were variations of these from the M.91 long rifle, which was discontinued in favor of the M.38 SR, but the M.91 was put back into production because they Italians dropped the 7.35 and went back to the 6.5, having started a war in the midst of a caliber change. Things get confusing because the M.41 long rifle (M.38/41) had adjustable rear sights and FNA-Brescia made they version of the M.38 Cavalry Carbine with adjustable rear sights, so it was identical to an M.91 Cavalry Carbine, but classified as an M.38. Whew.

Yep. The Krieghoffs were a different animal, rebuilt into 7.92 with single shot adapters. Funny, but of the ones I've seen in the last 5 years, none were matching, which is odd given how few were produced. These, in standard 6.5 Carcano, I believe most with Ingolstadt depot markings, were like any other foreign weapons brought through that depot for German use. I've seen Soviet 91/30s, French rifles, etc., with Ingolstadt inspections.

I've got 3 Krieghoffs, one carbine, 1 short rifle, and one M41 long rifle. All are matched and all have a single recoil bolt. Some have a depot stamp and some don't; it appears that Krieghoff got them from various sources. I've seen in some online listings some which have no recoil bolt at all but they may not be original. The toughest one seems to be the initial production jobs in 5-shot with German civil proofing - haven't found one of those yet. Nobody seems to have figured out who is supposed to have gotten these - they (the single-shots) were rejected for Volkssturm service and I suspect they never got very far from their point of origin.

Proofs

Those proofs on Bruce's rifle are a benchmark to look it with the shenanigans that people try with these Italian rifles.

Military Rifle Journal
Back