Third Party Press

My 1917 98/05 Bayonet

Glynn863

I got this bayonet and scabbard about 6 years ago from a seller in Colorado. The seller said that he acquired it from the son of a vet who brought it back from WW1. It is a non-sawback version, and appears original. One side of the blade is marked "H. MUNDLOS & Co. - MAGDEBURG". The other side is marked "Deutsche Maschinenfabrik A-G Duisberg" and "1339.". The spine is marked W17 with inspection mark. No other markings are found on the bayonet. The scabbard has no markings other than a small one at the end. The frog stud is loose. There was no frog with this set when I got it. Attached are pictures. What can you guys tell me about this bayonet set? Thanks.
100_2815.jpg100_2816.jpg100_2817.jpg100_2818.jpg100_2819.jpg

It looks like normal S98/05nA, made in 1917 with one maker made the blade, the other completed the piece, the condition of blade is not extra probably not in scabbard for many years as the rusting was on it continued.

Thanks for the info. So, which would be the forge, and which the finisher? When I looked online, Magdeburg and Duisberg were / are both steel towns. Also, some online info said that Mundlos was a pseudo-rare / less common maker. Anyway, I am not surprised at the condition of the blade, since a lot of the trench fighting was muddy, wet, etc., and the equipment stayed that way too. The rust pitting / staining is old. The blade also has a couple of nicks that look old, and the scabbard is dented in several areas. Is the mark on the end a crown W?

Mundlos was probably the blade maker, but i am not expert on this, the blade was certainly bad stored or without the scabbard as the scabbard has no so hard rusting like the blade, certainly the trench in 1917-18 has minor period in the rusting, more possible the next 95 years were added to the piece. the ball finial is probably a crown letter C.

Military Rifle Journal
Back