Third Party Press

HT and LT Question

Bigdibbs88

"Ach du lieber!"
I may be ignorant but believe that the main difference between the High Turret and Low Turret system was the height/size and shape of the front mount assembly. Since there is a rather small difference between the two systems and there is a rather large overlap in their production periods, what spurred HT development? Phrased differently, why did the germans bother having 2 systems with such minute differences?

I believe that the scope actually sits slightly higher on the high turret (which would figure) so the rear mount is slightly higher (not the base).

From what I can tell, it was done to add clearance at the front, so a larger scope bell wouldn't interfere with the rear sight? Plus add some clearance to the safety?

Of course, I could be completely wrong, but I seem to remember hearing this somewhere.

If I was to have give a reason ,It has to do with ease of Production from LT to HT there are a few less machining Steps between HT & LT In the Pics it shows some of the differences that would Simplify Production . This was also the same with LT & HT Bases changes were also made to simplify ease of production . I have Pics that shows this I will see if I can find them and Post them also . Best Regards

Attachments

• !Bo(hK5g!mk~$(KGrHqYH-DwEuZHiScR!BLnP9+OzuQ~~_35.JPG
    !Bo(hK5g!mk~$(KGrHqYH-DwEuZHiScR!BLnP9+OzuQ~~_35.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC03598.JPG
    DSC03598.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC03599.JPG
    DSC03599.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 41
When You look at the differences in the two Mounting Systems You really can not say there was minute differences . Its really a big difference between the two.

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention what the actual Height difference is of the Two Mounting Types
The Rear Base on HT & LT are Identical . Front Mount of a LT is 1mm Lower than the Front Mount of High Turret . Which means the LT is mounted at a Down Angle Forward .

I am ALMOST positive there are 13 differences between LT to HT. the main difference is like robert mentioned from LT to HT they MOVED the front mount retaining goove HIGHER but over all height of the set up stayed the same. you can see this that if you have a HT set up a LT set will work in it, but a HT will not Mount in a LT set up. many machining process were cut like robert mentioned.

later
vaughn

the high turret and the low turret mounts use the same distance from the receiver ring to the centerline of the scope tube.
the high turret front base is higher than the low turret front base,however the distance from the high turret base to the scope tube is shorter than with the low turret mount.
both types of turret mounts have the same height on the rear mount.
the high turret mount has just been simplified as to the way it is made.

Military Rifle Journal
Back