Third Party Press

Walther AC45 - K43 - Restoration Project

Gebirgs44

Howdy all!

Just recently got in an all matching Walther AC45 A block rifle, and am in the process of restoring it.

I have removed all of the bubba parts from the stock; including: rotted synthetic butt pad, plexi emblishment on the elbow, swivel sling mounts, and cut down magazine. I have picked up two very nice K43 mags for it, and am now looking at replacing the stock.

This is a later Walther variant that has the addition of the vented gas tube cover, and the DUAL guide rails for the bolt carrier.. While I am pleased it has these features, it is making finding a reproduction stock for it quite a mission, and looking expensive.

I will be ordering up new springs, sight hood, cleaning rod, barrel band and spring, sling, and buttplate - but am currently trying to find the best deal on a reproduction stock for this late variant AC45 that had the stock recoil lug positioned about 3/4" farther forward in the stock.

I would absolutely love to get the stock restored and fixed, but I cannot find anyone up to the job yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I will answer any questions, thanks!

Picture of the rifle with the 'bubba parts' removed:

after.jpg

I can probably get you an unfinished stock with a handguard for $200 shipped.
There was one at a show I attended and if that seller is going to be at the next one I can pick it up.

PM me if you are interested.

Modifications done to the stock, pointed out.

Lower end reproduction stock below for reference. Does anyone think a experienced craftsman could fix this? Possibly using pieces from the reproduction as donor? Just a thought, as I am looking at the rifle, and cringing over this beautiful original stock being altered. :facepalm:

mod.jpg

Best repro stocks that I have come across here:
http://fox-military.com/en/
Lesek Folks is an artist and the projects he has helped me with are top notch.
Wood, glue, shape, lamination is spot on. Most of the repo stocks I've seen have laminations that run the wrong way an wood type and color it wrong.

Have already sent off an email to Lesek Foks and many other sources in hopes of locating a stock, just waiting to hear back.

Until then, I have started ordering up replacement parts, and waiting on my second K43 mag to come in. Here's hoping I can come across someone with a dual lug late war stock; it is sort of the key to getting this rifle back to war-time specs.

Any thoughts on whether the stock is repairable, and worth altering more? Bubba already had his go at it.. maybe I could get it fixed?

Try here for a repro dual lug stock. I can't swear to overall quality as I have not used one myself, but finding a dual lug original or reproduction may prove a bit difficult other than these?

http://www.gewehr43.com/forsale.htm

This is the ONLY site I have seen with the dual lug stock, but apparently the fellow running it might be behind bars..

His website has not been updated in nearly 6 years. :facepalm: - I contacted him last night, regardless. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Stock

Just a thought, I am not sure that your "bubba" stock can be ....."un-bubba-ized"????? I do have a friend that has a K43 repro stock laying around and will see him today. Let me know in the next 10 seconds....well soon anyhow.I will get him to send me pics that I will then send to you.
PS Like your name!

Just a thought, I am not sure that your "bubba" stock can be ....."un-bubba-ized"????? I do have a friend that has a K43 repro stock laying around and will see him today. Let me know in the next 10 seconds....well soon anyhow.I will get him to send me pics that I will then send to you.
PS Like your name!

Definately check it out! I would be very thankful!

Nice GJ name yourself, Kamerad! :]

Last edited:
Waiting to hear back on a couple leads for stocks and original parts.. here is a question:

My local gunsmith said that he could inlet my rifle into the reproduction G43 stock I have.. Said he could copy my original stock and re-position the recoil lug forward. Has anyone had experience doing this, or know if it is possible? He seemed pretty confident he could do it for me.

stock1.jpg

Reproduction G43 stock on left, Original Walther K43 on the right.

Any thoughts?

Taking my time with this rifle, as I want to do it justice.

Got new springs installed from Wolff, and they are truly top notch.

Also picked up another fantastic mag; a GCB K43, which matches my AYE K43; near perfect condition. :happy0180:

gcb.jpg

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back