Third Party Press

the eagle has landed...

mauser99

this followed me home tonight.. I was in the right place at the right time and was able to buy this.. It was funny, it was handed to me in a electric iron box.. He said, its a radom. I joked and said ya, maybe its a polish eagle. Sure as shite it was !!. I thought it had issues. Missing the lanyard loop and it was mismatched. Come to find out the last batch of 39 dated radoms were hastily assembled and show no proof/inspectors markings and are mismatched. I learned this reading bill yorks new book. These all fall into the high 40K range. 47-49K mixed parts. It also has the correct polish marked mag. Some times it just pays to be lucky.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 53
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 34
this followed me home tonight.. I was in the right place at the right time and was able to buy this.. It was funny, it was handed to me in a electric iron box.. He said, its a radom. I joked and said ya, maybe its a polish eagle. Sure as shite it was !!. I thought it had issues. Missing the lanyard loop and it was mismatched. Come to find out the last batch of 39 dated radoms were hastily assembled and show no proof/inspectors markings and are mismatched. I learned this reading bill yorks new book. These all fall into the high 40K range. 47-49K mixed parts. It also has the correct polish marked mag. Some times it just pays to be lucky.

Wow, nice pick-up! Is there any indication that these pistols entered German service? Can't imagine they let them just sit around.

I've heard that these may have been assembled by German soldiers who occupied the plant. Who knows if its true or not.

here are some photos of the inspector mark and the eagle proof lacking on the slide. Im sure the germans used these. They generally didnt re-inspect weapons they captured. The fact that they were in service and inspected was good enough for them. All european countries had proof laws like germany. Once the german assembled pistols show up they are polish parts assembled by the germans and have german proofs. These are surmized to be assembled in haste by the Poles to get them in service during the german invasion. This was a bring back item and was in a soft shell p38 holster. I let him keep the holster.

Added : photo of the web for the oval D2 proof And small eagle placed between the last slide cerration and decock lever.

Not sure if its a case where the Poles never proofed them or the Germans slapped them together after surrender for Beutewaffen.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I've heard that these may have been assembled by German soldiers who occupied the plant. Who knows if its true or not.

I think either or makes sense. I was just going off what the book said. A theory only. Similar to late war german pistols. ac45 p38',pp's and sauer 38h's

Last edited:
no idea if thats true or not but I really like it, have been looking for a while and they dont show up everyday :thumbsup:

Nice pistol

Most guys would have stuck their nose up at the mis-matched parts...Shows how books pay for themselves....and experienced collectors rule. LOL

I have never seen one of these variations in any collection I have seen. Glad you got it.:thumbsup:

thanks Jack.. the strap photos were for you..lol... I was un-aware of this legit mis-match variant. I did pay him good money for the pistol just going off what it was. mismatched. Maybe too much. I always offer fair money when im interested in an item. Rather than loose it to a low ball offer. I was at the local flea market and theres a guy there who pettles military and coins. He was given it to apraise. I just happened to be standing there. Right place right time. Im sure it will end up in a place of honor for any Radom. Ole Radommans collection !!

When trying to process what it was I was thinking it mismatched but all Polish parts ? Even a Polish mag. So it stayed together through out the war. Even the mag. The lanyard loops were never added. Only negitive is a cracked left grip.. The pistol is 90%

Wayne, I sure as hell would not worry about a cracked grip, that is a tough one to find regardless, with very little wear. Nice find. GR

here are the photos mrfarb posted a while back. Im just putting them in context here. If these pistols were indeed assembled by the germans who captured or occupied the factory it was probably one of theirs. Its great being able to piece this stuff together. Rare photos of the radom factory. Its to bad they werent found in time to be used in Bills book.. They really would have worked well in it.

Attachments

• radom.jpg
    radom.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 385_005.jpg
    385_005.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 385a.jpg
    385a.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 385b.jpg
    385b.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 32
better photos..

we actually got some nice weather for a change and dug out the radom again for a photo shoot.. They are much better than the quickies I took monday night..

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 24
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg