PDA

View Full Version : SS sniper rifle?

jlj
06-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Bought this matching byf 44 f suffix with mm dow scope for about the cost of building a repro sniper. Senich and laws books only mention the SS marking added above the firing proof. Is there anything else to check? The (repro?) scope caps have a waa, do originals? JL

jlj
06-29-2010, 12:47 PM
more pics of scope. JL

Turbo Archie
06-29-2010, 06:09 PM
When I looked at it, it looked like a nice base rifle but I have no idea about the scope or mounts.

The scope looked real but I wasn't buying that it was a real sniper.

Sounds like you got it at a good price reguardless.. :thumbsup:

mrfarb
06-30-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't think you can authenticate this rifle based on these photos. I'm not 100% positive when the double claw rifles stopped being made- most I see are 43 dated, and that rifle is from at least July of 1944.

jlj
06-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Bought the rifle as a put together (figured the dow scope alone was nearly worth the price) before I saw the SS mark. In the Senich book there are pics of byf rifles (date unknown) in c & d block and bnz 44. Thought there might be some other marking to look for that wasn't mentioned in the older books. Thought I'd see what others had to say before I take it to the range. After bore sighting it looks pretty close, but adjusting the bases to get it dead on will be a pain. Thanks, JL

mrfarb
07-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Were you told it's a put together? The SSZZA2 stamp is in the right spot- but after looking at the closup of the marking, it's not real- it's engraved. Enjoy it as a shooter.

Dave Roberts
07-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Bought the rifle as a put together (figured the dow scope alone was nearly worth the price) before I saw the SS mark. In the Senich book there are pics of byf rifles (date unknown) in c & d block and bnz 44. Thought there might be some other marking to look for that wasn't mentioned in the older books. Thought I'd see what others had to say before I take it to the range. After bore sighting it looks pretty close, but adjusting the bases to get it dead on will be a pain. Thanks, JL

HI jlj Please what ever You do , do not try to move the Bases for Your Wind-age Adjustment this is not how it is adjusted with these type of Mounts . The Wind-age adjustment is done with the front lens that`s why you can not find wind-age on Bases or Rings . I am not sure exactly how to adjust front lens but my friend Robert Spielauer can help You with this or maybe a member here Vaughn99 . Robert`s email is info@spielauer.com The Scope and Rings in my opinion are original . Can You post a few more Pics Remove white color from SSZZA2 Marking and Photos of Rings Left & Right Sides were Scope Tube goes thru Ring would like to see if these Rings are Spot Welded
or Soldered. Have seen both types on this Later Dow DBL Claw Type . If You have any Questions about Sighting feel free to contact me at DaveR626@comcast.net

jlj
07-02-2010, 07:57 AM
The rings look to be spot welded on each side. Would really like to know how to adjust for windage. I cleaned the white stuff out of the receiver markings and the difference in the style and age of the markings is much easier to see. JL

Bigdibbs88
07-03-2010, 06:17 AM
ss stamp looks bogus to me

jlj
07-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Removed the front ring on the objective, there is a loose ring that comes off and you can see 2 rings. The inner one appears to hold the front lens and is mounted in the larger eccentric ring. It looks like rotating the large ring to either side would move the apparent position of the reticle as on a Japanese t97 scope. Is this correct? Does it have any effect on the elevation? JL

Dave Roberts
07-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Removed the front ring on the objective, there is a loose ring that comes off and you can see 2 rings. The inner one appears to hold the front lens and is mounted in the larger eccentric ring. It looks like rotating the large ring to either side would move the apparent position of the reticle as on a Japanese t97 scope. Is this correct? Does it have any effect on the elevation? JL

As far as I am aware this is Correct as Your description of Lens Rotating . As stated I have never done this myself but was aware of this is how Wind-age is adjusted . No this has no effect on elevation . But I can put You in touch with someone who can tell You how to adjust the elevation . He is Robert email is info@spielauer.com

Dave Roberts
07-03-2010, 06:55 PM
The rings look to be spot welded on each side. Would really like to know how to adjust for windage. I cleaned the white stuff out of the receiver markings and the difference in the style and age of the markings is much easier to see. JL

Hi jlj , You have very hard to find Varient SS Dow Scope & Rings I have only seen a few
like maybe 3 of them in about 15yrs . Does Scope Tube have a Gew No# on it . Best Regards

jlj
07-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi jlj , You have very hard to find Varient SS Dow Scope & Rings I have only seen a few
like maybe 3 of them in about 15yrs . Does Scope Tube have a Gew No# on it . Best Regards

Scope has 8735 on left side just to rear of elevation ring, I think this is the rifle #? The pics I have seen and one this all have had an A on one leg of the rear mount and a # on the other this one is 3903. I figured out how to zero the elevation to the numbers and the ring with the stationary mark. Thanks, JL

Dave Roberts
07-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Scope has 8735 on left side just to rear of elevation ring, I think this is the rifle #? The pics I have seen and one this all have had an A on one leg of the rear mount and a # on the other this one is 3903. I figured out how to zero the elevation to the numbers and the ring with the stationary mark. Thanks, JL

Your Welcome Glad we could help you out .
Best Regards DaveR

vaughn99
07-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Hello,

you are correct windage is done with the front occular adj innner rings. the elevation is the outside 1-8 markings sight in at 100 yards/meters then loosen the screw and now line up the 100meter number correctly withe the mark on he scope body.

later
vaughn

jlj
09-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Finally adjusted the windage on this scope. After removing the front lens assembly, the inner ring was stuck. The dried grease or corrosion between the inner and outer rings took several shots of kroil and a few days soaking before I could move them. Then the adjustment was simple. JL

hatrick
09-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Any chance you can post some pics showing the objective ring set up and what you did to adjust the windage?

In resetting the elevation dial after zeroing for 100 yards, do you loosen the large screw on the elevation dial and then reset to "1"??

Eric

Dave Roberts
09-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Once the Scope is Zeroed to 100 meters you then will need to reset Dial to the 1 Range Mark . Beware as was mention earlier on the, Windage is adjusted in the Front Lens by Rotating it after set Screw is loosened . Best Regards

hatrick
09-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Which screw on the dial do you loosen to reset the dial to "1" - the large screw in the middle of the knurled ring or the three tiny screws that are behind the knurled ring?

Also which is the set screw you need to loosen before adjusting the windage?

I just picked up a scope for my rig with the help of some board members and at some point will need to make these final adjustments.

Thanks,
Eric

P.S. does anyone have any extras of the tiny screws that are between the knurled ring and the numbered ring? Two of my screws are missing and the one that is left is a bit buggered up and I'd like to replace all of them. While not my scope, here is a picture showing the screws I am referring to.

GunKraut
10-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Good investment! Changed hands a couple times since this thread started, got reblued and now worth north of $5k.
Maybe a blue blanket is just as good as a grey blanket?
Thanks to James (81turbota) for keeping a tab on this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=509703877

http://www.icollector.com/WWII-K98-Mauser-Rifle-with-Double-Claw-Sniper-Scope-and-Mount_i9514402

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/1025/lid/371

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/two-german-bolt-action-military-rifles-a-wwii-k-371-c-72c453db30