Third Party Press

Observations on DSM Receiver Comparisions

mauser22

WARNING: Some viewers may find the attached jpgs disturbing.

NO DSM was hurt in the production of this thread.

Both these guns had serious issues with the barrels and were salvaged for parts and research sake.

One is early DSM34 with Mauser Logo and address line.
Other is early DSM34 Waffenstadt Suhl evidenced to have been made by J.P. Sauer for the Suhl Consortium's guns as a minimum.

For some time have been in addition to noting small makers markings been doing dimensional comparisons on all the DSM's I have been able to get my hands on. This just happens to be two I have on hand currently stripped making the measurements much easier. I have done this alot.

The attached photos are for two firms and in both cases I think I can state with confidence whom the makers were.

I will not bother listing the various points where they differ with reference to dimensions. Of course within each maker within the tolerances there are slight variations that would indicate some areas more critical than others.

In the following remarks I therefore am not listing specific measurements taken on these two receivers but referring to these and many previous observations in general.

General observations noted are:

1. Most discernable is the shape and size of the loading ports variance.

2. Bottom milling varies to quite some degree also particularly around the trigger bosses.

3. Internal diameter of the receiver bore to bolt mating surfaces is fairly consistent within + or - .002

4. Extractor cuts in the breech faces vary (often resulting in problems with interchangability of bolt even within 34 or 36 receivers.

5. Impressive method to index barrel threads for proper alignment of the ejector cut very consistent between makers, lends well to using possibly subcontracted barrels. The barrels on these two guns torque up in perfect alignment when interchanged. Must admit since that only attempted on two guns, not at all conclusive.

Brief summary:

Part of what I am doing is to try and narrow down the research areas on a few things. From the small markings and dimesional comparisons, it appears to me that possibly only 3 or four firms MAY HAVE made all the receivers for the DSM. Certainly Mauser and J.P. Sauer. The other likely candidates are Walther, and Simson BSW. Not seeing evidence of any other firm producing receivers. This supports some other new information I am still examing regarding which firms were only assemblers or parts contributors vs. producing the entire gun in-house. It is also pointing to from what firms some assemblers (only) obtained receivers.

Good Collecting!!!

Attachments

• dimcheck1.jpg
    dimcheck1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 49
  • dimcheck2.JPG
    dimcheck2.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Manufacturing inspection stamps

Jim, an item than cannot be overlooked to support your presentation is the location and style of various inspection and process stamps.
We know Mauser produced receivers show various letter and symbol stamps located in various places on the bottom of the receiver.
I would bet that between the assumed three manufacturers, patterns would emerge regarding these inspection stamps and how they were
applied.

I have a DSM34 barreled action SN 49629 with letters applied on the bottom clearance area where the trigger and sear are located, and
on the top of the receiver tang in 2 places.

B.

Small Markings to support

Bruce thanks for that and any other recommendations regarding my approaches to researching this. I value the experience you gained and the marvelous job you did with the 98K.

"Jim, an item than cannot be overlooked to support your presentation is the location and style of various inspection and process stamps."

Has not been overlooked. Not in the past nor now.

Requires dissassembly of guns. Notes on those I have had knocked down previously and others not in my possession will be examined regarding this.

Part of what I am doing is trying to determine if I can identify them with out knocking them down with external check of receiver O.D. going down racks of them with Vernier Caliper. This could at least narrow down what guns necessitate dissassembly to varify markings.

You will also note that Nicole is very much pre-occupied with examing the Simpson collection in this regard right now.

That will ultimately be correlated to the serial number data base.

As all that will take some time, perhaps this post was a bit premature.

But seeing enough to collaborate somethings already, anxious to share, thought some might find it interesting, possibly get some feedback from others who may have looked at this.

And I may have been enjoying too many good Pilsners.

Military Rifle Journal
Back