Third Party Press

P.F.K. Warszawa 1926 K98 - Fully Matched

mattakinbimwalker

I started another thread about the gun mentioned in "My First Polish Mauser" to show the pictures. I purchased this rifle from an individual here in Georgia. I got an incredible deal on the gun. It is a P.F.K. 1926 K98 that is fully matched. The wood looks unsanded to me and the cartouches are still visible. Speaking of, can someone please tell me what the stock markings are?

Hope you enjoy....Thank you

DSC_0047.jpgDSC_0052.jpgDSC_0060.jpgDSC_0056.jpgDSC_0059.jpgDSC_0058.jpgDSC_0049.jpgDSC_0050.jpgDSC_0051.jpgDSC_0054.jpgDSC_0057.jpgDSC_0061.jpgDSC_0062.jpgDSC_0065.jpgDSC_0055.jpg

Nice wz98! From the roundness of a lot of the edges, I would say the stock may have had a just a bit of sanding done, but Polish rifles in this condition are scarce so not a huge deal IMO. I would need an in-hand inspection to be sure.:googlie

I only know a little about markings and such, but Z in various shapes (triangles, octagons, etc) show up in various places on lots of Polish weapons. My guess would be a depot of some kind, but reworks are usually dated. I think the Eagle/K is a general acceptance stamp. Someone else will know more.

I agree, a very nice example, about as nice as I have seen on the forums. The bolt is especially intriguing, do some pictures of the markings, especially under the handle, it is difficult to find an unaltered (bright metal) Polish bolt and I have not been able to document many, those I have recorded often are German in origin, or have the typical Polish markings (odd characters, accountability or fit markings) or on occasion the FB (Radom) shield marking.

As for the markings, I hate to suggest this but you really should take this to Gunboards Mauser forum, John Wall is often the best person for these kinds of questions. He has in the past given the best answers to these types of questions and he doesn't frequent here enough to see this thread. The "Z" represents ordnance depots or something along those lines, "zbrojovnia" (spelling on the forums varies) but the exact purpose of the various styles this marking comes in isn't clear, at least to me. You can find it in different styles, locations, and apparently used for different purposes or maybe represent different facilities.

The other markings, the "K" in a shield of sorts is common on stocks, different locations but I do not know the meaning and no forum posts or articles I have on file record a purpose. Other than regurgitating previous posts by John Wall, many of them nearly 10 years old, I can't add much to this topic; - John Wall is the only collector that is both knowledgeable and forthcoming when it comes to Polish rifles on the forums. Whether it is because no one knows much or whether those that do are secretive with their knowledge, I am not sure, but of the dozen or more posts I have saved over the last 10-15 years, he is the only one that answers questions or contributes information of any value.

I would take this topic to TP's and JohnS forum for answers, but please do post more pictures of the rifle if you can here. I have a rather large database on Polish rifles, their economy and industry but have never trended production, - but intend too one day, it seems to be a wide open field for study, hardly no one knows, or will share their knowledge about these very interesting rifles. I assume some of the problem is that so few rifles exist in the condition of your rifle...

Additinal pics

Here are additional pics of the matching stock, handguard, trigger, and various other parts. I don't know if I mentioned this or not but the stock is duffle cut....not a big deal IMO.

BTW - Check out that bore!

DSC_0076.jpgDSC_0077.jpgDSC_0081.jpgDSC_0082.jpgDSC_0080.jpgDSC_0083.jpgDSC_0079.jpgDSC_0078.jpg

That is some rifle, neat bolt flat, just like another I have recorded. I sure would like to see more though... Polish rifles will be a difficult thing to trend data on, outside of serial ranges the rifles are just to bastardized to get a good representative pool of data to make many conclusions. Bolts will be especially difficult to trend out, only a handful are recorded with factory bolts, having factory stocks isn't all that common either.

Cleaned up Bolt Pics

I got the chance to pull the bold out today and disassemble it and give it a good cleaning. There was a ton of hard, dried cosmoline on the bolt. CLP didnt take much of it off. However, the new M-Pro 7 gun cleaner took the cosmoline off like a breeze (M-Pro 7 is the non-toxic version of clp). There are several markings on the bolt that I tried my best to take pictures of.

Here are the pictures after I cleaned it up:
DSC_0084.jpgDSC_0085.jpgDSC_0086.jpgDSC_0088.jpgDSC_0089.jpgDSC_0090.jpgDSC_0091.jpgDSC_0092.jpgDSC_0093.jpgDSC_0094.jpgDSC_0095.jpg

That's a beauty! Congrats!

A Polish Mauser is high on my want list. Its one I'm missing and really should have. They are pretty hard to come by up here though.

Military Rifle Journal
Back