Third Party Press

An SSR3 Mount for my CE42 SSR Sniper - (Probably an SSR3 Conversion)

agentcq

Okay...I have had a CE42 SSR that probably had a SSR3 conversion at some point - Problem - No upper mount/scope.

SSR original mounts are as rare as hens teeth and the people that do have them do not want to let go, especially as they hope to get lucky and find an SSR rifle like I did.

I did find another chap on this forum who did have a mount/scope, but I wouldn't part with my rifle and he wouldn't part with his scope - fair is fair.

I was ebay last night and saw this mount - it has its warts and pimples.

I did buy a zf41 scope/mount from this seller before to complete an 'ar' zf41 sniper and that mount/scope was good which gave me confidence.

The markings, finish and machining look good, but there are some good repro mounts out there.

Have I bought the Real Deal or an expensive European Repro????

Now...does anyone have a proper scope for a SSR or the missing parts to the mount? Worst case - someone who could make reliable repro parts???

Attachments

• SSR3-1.jpg
    SSR3-1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 70
  • SSR3-2.jpg
    SSR3-2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 63
  • SSR3-3.jpg
    SSR3-3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 72
  • SSR3-4.jpg
    SSR3-4.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 66
  • SSR3-5.jpg
    SSR3-5.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 57
  • SSR3-6.jpg
    SSR3-6.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 66
  • SSR3-7.jpg
    SSR3-7.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 81
  • SSR3-8.jpg
    SSR3-8.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 42
  • SSR3-9.jpg
    SSR3-9.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 52
  • SSR1.jpg
    SSR1.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 58
Judging by the pictures, it looks like a genuine Weihrauch Type II mount that at some point in time has been upgraded to Type III. On the other hand, there are so many excellent reproductions coming out of France right now, it's hard to tell if it's genuine without taking a closer look at it.

Being a repro, he must artificially age it and bang it up as well.

I saw a guy in an antique store chemically age some metal knobs for an antique chest of drawers/dresser.
It can be very convincing.

When in doubt, It pays to hold off a few days and not be Johnny on the Spot with the PayPal Payment.

It is a Repro . One of the 1st parts that should be looked at when Buying a SSR is the Locking Lever as seen on this Mount in ? the Inner Corners were the Stop Pin Rides for Locking Lever these Corners are Rounded. This is a Good Place to Start Looking at It the First Part I look too when searching for a Real Mount . Then move on to other Particulars of the Mount . Added a Couple Pics for Comparison both are Originals . Best Regards .

Attachments

• New Image.JPG
    New Image.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 76
  • VDD110-K-CU33-L.jpg
    VDD110-K-CU33-L.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 74
I probably kicked the hornets nest. I haven't paid yet and sent the seller a link to this thread.

I said if it was a repro I wasn't willing to pay that price and I didn't want to go through the hassle of a paypal return.

What is a fair price?

It is nicer than most Chinese/US repro's out there and it would be better than nothing till I can find an original mount. I know repro mounts start about $160 and go up from there.

Ideas???

Thank you to everyone for chirping in!

Military Rifle Journal
Back