Third Party Press

Erma DSM 22 Trainer Dilemma

mattakinbimwalker

I found a matching Erma Gewehrfabrik Trainer that is in fantastic condition. The stock is unsanded and the bluing is 90% plus. The crown proofs are visible and in great condition. The only numbers I can "visibly" see on the trainer is the one on the barrel, one on the receiver, and the one under the bolt handle on the bolt (crown proofs are visible there also). The bolt takedown disk has a "2" on it. I wish I had pictures...the gun is gorgeous.

They are asking $650 for it. Wayne (mauser 99) said that's a good deal. My question is...if I am looking to sell it someday, considering I do not collect trainers, what value would I be looking at with this gun? (I know pictures would be helpful)

The gun is MUCH nicer than this one:
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/88692...rick-erma-erfurt-mauser-k98-type-22lr-trainer

They are asking $650 for it. Wayne (mauser 99) said that's a good deal. My question is...if I am looking to sell it someday, considering I do not collect trainers, what value would I be looking at with this gun? (I know pictures would be helpful)

You are going at it the wrong way! Buy it becauese you want and like it, not how much you can sell or make on it in the furure.
Ron

What's the dilemma? Add $100 to it and move it along. That way you make your profit and the gun goes to someone who will appreciate it.

I'm with Denny

What's the dilemma? Add $100 to it and move it along. That way you make your profit and the gun goes to someone who will appreciate it.

There is nothing wrong with picking up a gun soley with the intention to flip it for profit to further one's collecting and shooting hobby. Everybody does that, self included.

Relative to what any collectable gun is worth:

It will vary with geography and scope of venue it is marketed in. But generally, it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If what you can buy it for is less that than what others would pay it for it - you are golden. Or if it is something you desire to own to shoot, study or collect it is worth what you are willing to pay for it. A host of variables influence all that.

Primarily this forum is intended to be a medium for those who enjoy, shooting, collecting, and studying them to network.

Networking infers; you help me out, I help you out.

If you find folks here illusive regarding what a gun you may be able to purchase for XX amount and in turn flip for XXX amount, perhaps that will explain it.

This is a major part of the reason I generally try to avoid commenting except where someone is trying to determine if they paid too much for something.

Don't want to sound like the critical parent here. Just seeing so many folks just drop by with the agenda of "mining" some gold or teasing the market, felt this thread a good place to share MY perspective and encourage the users of this forum to consider it.

I apologize in advance if any of that offends you. $100 return on a gun you don't intend to keep is better rate than you will get on the stock exchange. Very possibly, and very often that margin can be exceeded with knowledge, dues paid in the form of baths taken, establishing relationships with other collectors, and much other.

Probably just muddied the water on the "What is it worth?" question.

But the answer is in fact, equally as muddy.

Good Collecting!!!!

Gosh guys. I collect 98ks.I am quite honestly nuts over them. As a married man and father of two you have to acquire funds wherever you can and still keep the peace but add to your collection. How many of us sell one to buy another? If I can add to my single rune fund... is that such a bad thing? I was most definitely NOT mining.

Well said Jim!

My point with the $100 is "no muss, no fuss". If one is not interested in the rifle, flip it quick rather than dragging it around for six months trying to wring the last penny out of it.

Matt, we've all sold things to buy others. Only problem for me being that I usually end up regretting it.

p.s. I was typing this as you were posting.

Sorry to have used this thread as an example

I did not mean to make it personal, nor be critical of this particular inquiry.

Just trying to add perspective and keep this forum a place where we "network" and explain (which I obviously failed miserably at) why responses may not have been specific enough.

Don't take me too seriously, most folks don't, the ones I "network" with know I am a lunatic.

Gosh guys. I collect 98ks.I am quite honestly nuts over them. As a married man and father of two you have to acquire funds wherever you can and still keep the peace but add to your collection. How many of us sell one to buy another? If I can add to my single rune fund... is that such a bad thing? I was most definitely NOT mining.

most of us are in the same boat.... I for one would want to own one trainer. either a dsm or kkw. As I said before, from experiance if he has 650.00 on it offer 600.00 cash... use six 100 dollars bills.. Most dealers double their money on alot of used stuff. So they have haggle room worked in. At least my ole shop use to. If its a place you buy from often then its all part of the game. I sold a so/so dsm for 500.00 So if its that nice its a no brainer to me. What you will get out of it is anyones guess. Maybe 800 if its real nice ?? Just a guess.
Or keep it and enjoy it for what it is.. Basicly a 7/8th scale k98.

Also,even if you make 50.00 bucks on it who cares..?? put 600.00 in the bank and see how long it takes to make 50 bucks...got a couple years !!!

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back