Third Party Press

Need some help with VZ24 identification

triumph2

102_0349.jpg102_0378.jpg102_0367.jpg102_0358.JPG102_0357.JPG102_0356.JPG102_0354.JPG102_0353.jpg102_0352.JPG102_0381.jpg
I need some help with the identification of this VZ 24 I know it was made in 1925 but not much else .Is this rifle for real or did I get taken.

I'm inclined to tell you that it's real - but what it is I can't say. It has the correct proofs for a commercial proofed rifle assembled (or proofed) in Oct. 1944. Some of these late war commercials are really strange, this one included. I'd say you got a good one, my opinion. A good late war commercial that is...now what they were for is not known, but it was proofed in Zella-Mehlis.

I suspect these rifles were made for local defence/ Volkssturm, but that is speculation on my part.

I'm inclined to agree with Farb although I can't see much detail on my phone which I am obliged to use for internet due to travel. I have two commercially rebuilt Vz-24's and from what I am able to see your rifle looks similar.

These were completely refinished. I believe mine were rebarreled at the time they were rebuilt also. The appearance of the blue is a bit nicer than original--pretty much like one sees with the commercial Kar. 98k builds.

How about the A added to the serial number, was that done by the czech in 38 along with the czech accptance stamp on the barrel or was it done when redone by nazi's

The barrel was proofed at Povazska Bystrica, aka Brunn II, in 1938 as denoted by the E4 (E3 was Brno).

Any markings under the handguard?

I wouldn't recommend pulling the handguard off. It is the achilles heel of the vz-24 design. They frequently crack when manipulated. The visible commercial markings on the bottom of the barrel shank already tell the full story. There is no additional marking which would be worth breaking the handguard to see.

How about the A added to the serial number, was that done by the czech in 38 along with the czech accptance stamp on the barrel or was it done when redone by nazi's

I'm sure it was done by the Czechs. 1925 is very early for a Vz-24 and I'm guessing it was manufactured shortly after they quit making Vz-23's. That may be the serial numbering pattern for the first ones. I'm on a real computer with a real screen now and will add that your rifle is original and looks good.

Handguard was already cracked and repaired when I puchased it but it was done rather poorly imho,as it is a little offset at the rear by the receiver ring ,I was thinking about taking it back apart and seeing if I could maybe get it to line up better than it is .
Do you think that would be a good idea or is it better left alone .

I would be inclined to leave it be, particularly if the crack is currently glued. Vz-24 handguards are not easy to repair due to their shape.

I will not touch it . Thanks to everyone that helped with the identification,I really do appreiciate all of the assistance.

Military Rifle Journal
Back