Third Party Press

Two Other Gewehrs

PrayingMantis

Two reenacting Gewehrs, just for research.

First is Simson & Co. Suhl 1917 2843d. Only the receiver and bolt release are original. Right now it's my loaner.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 36
  • 201.JPG
    201.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 202.JPG
    202.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Next, Mauser Oberndorf 1917 44n (unless it's an r). A pretty nice weapon, but because of the import mark it has to be a reenacting Gewehr. c/W throughout, except for two c/K acceptance. Unfortunately, taking a picture of the receiver acceptance skipped my mind. I'll try to get one next time I see the gun, though I seem to remember it looking the same as Oberndorf 4117k (at least I think it was a k. I poached the pictures from Gun Broker, it had a renumbered bolt was original in the Suhler Consortium, looked Haenel made to me)

Attachments

• Barrel Code.jpg
    Barrel Code.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Buttplate.jpg
    Buttplate.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Full Left.jpg
    Full Left.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Full Right.jpg
    Full Right.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Receiver Barrell.jpg
    Receiver Barrell.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 33
  • Receiver Left.jpg
    Receiver Left.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Receiver Top.jpg
    Receiver Top.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Stock Cypher and Acceptance.jpg
    Stock Cypher and Acceptance.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Stock Serial.jpg
    Stock Serial.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Triggerguard.jpg
    Triggerguard.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 31
I agree, a "p" block on the MO/17, - Imperial, non-Turk, MO/17's can be difficult to find. Especially later blocks. I would definitely like to get the RR on this one when you get the chance.

The Simson/17, lets hear the story on how you restored it? I assume just a receiver? What happened to the barrel, chopped? Nice restoration though.

I agree, a "p" block on the MO/17, - Imperial, non-Turk, MO/17's can be difficult to find. Especially later blocks. I would definitely like to get the RR on this one when you get the chance.

The Simson/17, lets hear the story on how you restored it? I assume just a receiver? What happened to the barrel, chopped? Nice restoration though.

"p" block, never would have guessed, don't think I've come across a p before. I'll try to get a RR image for you. I thought long about keeping it for myself because it wasn't Turked, but I just can't rationalise that import mark.

I bought the '17 Simson half finished. The previous owner had already put the barrel on it before he put it up on the Gunboards Trader. I figured I might as well get it since I had the parts to finish it laying around. It looks quite nice, the stock saw service in Spain but is very solid. Next step is getting it head-spaced.

Suffix characters are only decipherable by comparison, in this case looking at the "n" and "r" and "p" next to one another.

Good deal on the Simson, I didn't have it recorded.

I know I am late on this one but I have been away from the Forums for a while, that is a beautiful 1917 Oberndorf, you don't see too many that escaped the Ottoman Empire.

Military Rifle Journal
Back