Third Party Press

patiodaddyo

Registered
Not sure if I'm in the right area of the forum or not. I inherited rifle. I have no idea about these types of rifles, but I am excited to learn about them.
The rifle has J P Sauer and Sohn 1917. All the serial numbers match except the bolt. I am guessing it was replaced later. The stock appears to have a dowel where I have seen steel pins in other pictures. The sling mount on the stock is also missing. I only have the mounting holes, no screws. I am curious of to what kind of find I have here.
I have a few pictures and I hope they come through.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Attachments

• 101_8253.JPG
    101_8253.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 41
  • 101_8254.JPG
    101_8254.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 35
  • 101_8250.jpg
    101_8250.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 33
Welcome to the forum; you are in the right place for answers on your rifle. You will need to do more pictures though to see what exactly you have. As a new member you will have to post a couple more times to get the ability to post normally, I think it is 3 posts to lift the restrictions, but once you get that far, try and post a few more pictures, in particular the markings on the receiver.

What can be said with these pictures is it looks full length, which is good, had it been chopped it would have no significant value to collectors. The stock you will probably have to write off, I do not think it is restorable, though you might be able to make it do. It is something of a dilemma when the stock is matching-original but sportered like this, typically the stock is the most important thing to a rifles value, it is always a good idea to try and work around a problem stock and do what is possible to retain it if it is original to the rifle. But on the otherhand, this kind of sanding and alteration will be difficult to reverse, - it will never look right.

As to the maker-date, it is a desirable rifle in that regard, the Suhl makers are hardest to find, especially in nice collectable condition. Most were heavily used, for every Suhl maker you find nice and original, you can find 5 arsenals or MO/DWM's. I wrote a brief blog on the Suhl Consortium on my website, - it is the second one down:

http://gewehr98.com/

Not sure if I'm in the right area of the forum or not. I inherited rifle. I have no idea about these types of rifles, but I am excited to learn about them.
The rifle has J P Sauer and Sohn 1917. All the serial numbers match except the bolt. I am guessing it was replaced later. The stock appears to have a dowel where I have seen steel pins in other pictures. The sling mount on the stock is also missing. I only have the mounting holes, no screws. I am curious of to what kind of find I have here.
I have a few pictures and I hope they come through.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Military Rifle Journal
Back