Third Party Press

All matching 1917 J.P. Sauer Gew.98 including the rod!

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Just picked this one up from my FFL. Rifle is all matching down to the cleaning rod, it's incredible that it survived all these years. Pretty clean rifle, but it does have 1 pretty big knock- some bonehead took a pipe wrench to the barrel at some point, which makes no sense as the bore is perfect on this rifle. It's nice, even has some fire blue left on the bolt release lever! Rifle has a beech stock on it. I know Suhl Consortium rifles are tough to find, so the damage on the barrel is something I can live with. Barrel code is Bo 128, I'll get pics of that. If you want/need any other pics just let me know.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 78
  • band.jpg
    band.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 79
  • bblcode.jpg
    bblcode.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 87
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 77
  • code.jpg
    code.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 84
  • keel.jpg
    keel.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 60
  • rod.jpg
    rod.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 56
  • rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 64
  • serial1.jpg
    serial1.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 71
  • serial.jpg
    serial.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 69
  • stockserial.jpg
    stockserial.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 52
  • stockside.jpg
    stockside.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 63
  • wrist.jpg
    wrist.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Man, that's crisp...beautiful rifle even with the idiot marks on the barrel. A real time capsule. I could live with the idiot marks on a rifle that nice and matching. Its a real plus the rod matches too!

Thats a nice one! Shame about the marks on the barrel, but I'd take that over a sanded stock or drilled and tapped rec. any day :thumbsup:

The more I look at it, the more I like it. I agree though, I'd rather have the idiot marks than sanded stock or drilled and tapped. It will work until I find a better one.

Very nice rifle for sure, too bad about the wrench markings, I have a Simson/17 sterngewehr very much like this one, but worse I think. Fully matching but unlike with your "idiot", mine took more convincing that it was a bad idea and apparently got the barrel off as I acquired it in parts. Fortunately he kept all the parts... remarkable as that seems, all were there and MauserBill put it back together for me some years ago.

This barrel is unusual in that it is a JPS rifle yet the barrel wasn't made by them, or at least it doesn't follow the pattern of most JPS rifles that have either a "S" in a diamond or have their trademark "S&S" infront of the BC. Only a couple are known that are JPS made rifles but without one of these two trademark symbols infront of the BC. It is actually the only Böhler blank I have seen on a Suhl consortium rifle (Simson's are known, as are Erfurt's but none of the three consortium firms). At least I think it is a "Bö", hard to be sure, but upper care BO (Erfurt) is used on some cases, while lower Bö (Simson) is used on others. Of course this is all based upon a rather small sample of rifles; Imperial BC are more difficult to get, for whatever reason it is hard to get BC on Imperial rifles, many Imperial collectors are grumpy types who do not like taking rifles apart!

BTW, this is a very late rifle, the highest JPS is in the 9k q block, but "r" blocks exist for the other two firms, so they probably made it to the "r" block collectively. (I am 90% positive they shared serial numbers, assuming Storz is right in his documents I would be 100% positive, as the production estimates are only supported if they shared ranges... otherwise they made 3x more than Storz states, - by known & confirmed serial ranges)

Just picked this one up from my FFL. Rifle is all matching down to the cleaning rod, it's incredible that it survived all these years. Pretty clean rifle, but it does have 1 pretty big knock- some bonehead took a pipe wrench to the barrel at some point, which makes no sense as the bore is perfect on this rifle. It's nice, even has some fire blue left on the bolt release lever! Rifle has a beech stock on it. I know Suhl Consortium rifles are tough to find, so the damage on the barrel is something I can live with. Barrel code is Bo 128, I'll get pics of that. If you want/need any other pics just let me know.

Maybe the fact you don't see BO marked barrels is why bubba was trying to remove it, he was trying to get rid if the evidence. Lol.

That never occurred to me, - I guess that is why you are the super moderator? You catch these subtle clues!

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back