Third Party Press

East German 8 Kurz ammo?

shortfal

I'm working on a MKb42 for a guy. He's been shooting the E. German ammo in his MP44. I just removed a separated case from that gun. He is wondering whether it is a good idea to shoot that ammo in his MKb. Does anyone here have experience with that kind of ammo? Apparently he has quite a bit of it.
Pete in St. Louis

Pete, I bought a bunch of this several years back while at the Knob Creek show in Kentucky. I've fired hundreds of rounds with no issues what so ever. It is good ammo but I also treat it as if it is corrosive. Not sure if it is but I always clean my MP44 when done shooting. I wouldn't hesitate to use the ammo if it is clean.
CaptMax

E. German 8 Kurz

Good to know that Capt. Max. Thanks. I have his MP44 also that I removed a separated steel case front from. Gun checks good re headspace, so I was wondering about that ammo. Another guy that should know says it is OK too.
I should have what he is sending tomorrow. I want to shoot some of anything he might use this weekend before returning the rifle to him.
Call it work? Shooting his ammo in his machinegun!
From reading the book STURMGEWEHR! it would appear that most of the 44/45 German Kurz would have not been corrosive. No way to know about the E. German post war ammo though. Best to treat it all as if it is corrosive though.
Pete

shot some E. German 8 KurzRan over 150 rds.

Ran over 150 rds. through several rifles Sunday. All shot with no misfires. Not particularly noticeable in semi, but FA fire makes it obvious they vary in power. Some feeling a bit weak and others real strong. Started getting failures to extract. Had to bump the charging handle to get (3) of them out. Tried putting a bit of WD40 on rounds as I loaded them in the mag. Sticking problem went away!
Shot some FNM and my handloads too through the same rifles. No problems with any of that ammo at all.
Pulled down a E. German round. Powder looked ok, but the base of the bullet looked somewhat corroded and the inside of the case looked sort of brown. Rust? Need to slit a case lengthwise to get a better look.
Considering the E. German probably costs at least as much as the FNM (or Privi???) I personally would avoid using it.
My results and opinion FWIW.
Pete

Pete, Have you run any Hornady ammo through your gun? I bought a bunch of that from Sportsman's Guide when they had a sale at $1 a round.
It's hollow point ammo but I figured the brass made it well worth the price.
CaptMax

8Kurz

Capt.Max,
Never have run that. I bought a bunch of the FNM from Coles at the Creek when I first started and have been reloading what I shot of it as well as a good number of cases a guy gave me and cases I made out of some WRA68 .308 cases.
I'll send you some pics of bullets and sectioned cases from unfired German 1944 and E. German 1958. Interesting for sure!
I removed a separated case from a MP44 that was from the same 1958 ammo shown.
I shot some of it and was getting some stuck cases until I tried lubing with some WD40.
Fixed the sticking, but it's erratic and corrosive for sure.
I should figure out how to post pics here.
Sent the MKb42 back to its Nevada home today. SOB!SOB! Pete

Military Rifle Journal
Back