Third Party Press

Ww1 gewehr muzzle cover unit marked? Or ???

MrHaney

Hi
I just bought a WW1 Gewehr 98 muzzle cover for my Danzig 1917 rilfe. And on the cover is stamped 5.G. 9.19.8.
Does anyone know what these marking mean?
Regards
Bob

Are you sure of the marking? Might the "9" be an "R"? Generally "G"=Garde (Guard Regiment) and while "G" alone can be right, usually it is G.R. and usually there are only two numbers after the "G" or "G.R."

Anyway, I say "usually" above because there are a lot of variables and unit markings vary widely, applied by individuals in many different places and circumstances you really need to show a picture of the muzzle cover to get an answer. It might be as you say, but it isn't a typical marking that you usually come across.

Picture of the gewehr 98 muzzle cover marked 5.g.9.18.8

Hi
Here is one pictures of the muzzle cover i won. I can take more when i get it. This picture is from the auction.
regards
Bob

Attachments

• GEW MUZZLE COVER.jpg
    GEW MUZZLE COVER.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 46
PICTURE OF THE GEWEHR 98 MUZZLE COVER MARKED 5.g. 9. 198

Hi
Here is one pictures of the muzzle cover i won. I can take more when i get it. This picture is from the auction.
regards
Bob

Meaning of these markings?? 5.g. 9. 198.

Hi
Could these markings mean.
GARDE-REGIMENT ZU FUSS 5. G.
KOMPAGNIE 9
WAFFE NR. 198
Regards
Bob

Yes, the 5th Garde Regiment, it is a nice muzzle cover. These Garde marked are more desirable and much harder to find, though selling them for what they are worth isn't so easy. Generally collectors are rather miserly on muzzle covers, typically they will pay $100 or so for a muzzle cover but a really nice unit doesn't appreciably increase the price many will pay for it, which is odd because bayonets collectors will often pay double or more for the right unit marking on a bayonet.

I have sold quite a few muzzle covers, rare is the day that one sold for what I thought it worth, even a Garde Jäger muzzle cover took forever to get a good price for and not what I expected either... oddly Simson lids (e/6 etc..) seem to draw more interest, but even they have difficulty over about $200, which is a good price compared to how much a Garde marked lid should pull. Garde marked are far and away more rare than an Simson muzzle cover. They made quite a few and I own and have owned quite a few.

Oh and Bob, when you get it I would like to see the acceptance on the cover, I doubt it will have a manufacturer marking but I do trend the muzzle covers for unit, acceptance and manufacturer information. Typically these early muzzle covers aren't manufacturer marked, but it is good to be on the lookout.

Gewehr 98 muzzle cover with pictures

Hi Loewe,
I thank you all for your help with the infortmation . I live in ohio and they are very hard to find here. Here are the pictures you wanted. I see alot of proof marks but not any makers marks, Also in side of the muzzle cover is the number 82? What is the meaning of this??
Please let me know if you need any more pictures.
I would like to have a muzzle cover with out the markings i would trade for one just as nice as mine
Best regards
Bob

Attachments

• GEW MUZZLE COVER.jpg
    GEW MUZZLE COVER.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 16
  • muzzle cap.jpg
    muzzle cap.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 17
  • muzzle cap1.jpg
    muzzle cap1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 18
  • muzzle cap2.jpg
    muzzle cap2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 18
  • muzzle cap3.jpg
    muzzle cap3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 16
  • muzzle cap5.jpg
    muzzle cap5.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 18
  • muzzle cap7.jpg
    muzzle cap7.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 16
  • muzzle cap6.jpg
    muzzle cap6.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 14
I just bet, - Ohio has a very hostile environment for bargain hunters, you have a LOT of competition, Bruce, BiO, JimP, KenL and half a dozen others who haunt the pawn & gun shops... it is a wonder you can find anything at all in Ohio.

The numbers inside the lid are common but almost certainly have to do with its manufacture. I do not know what they represent. You should have no problem trading it, try the trader, I am sure you will have very little difficulty in trading it for a nice unmarked one.

Hi Loewe,
I thank you all for your help with the infortmation . I live in ohio and they are very hard to find here.
Best regards
Bob

Good old boys with deep pockets!!

Yep
You are right with all those good old boys and the deep pockets!!! Bruce does not miss much,
Regards
Bob

Trade sounds good

Hi George,
Please send me a picture of a trader Gewehr 98 unmarked muzzle cover. That you would like to trade
Thanks
Bob

Military Rifle Journal
Back