Third Party Press

1915 Erfurt Kar98a with damage value?

artyldr01

Good morning,

I am travelling and at an airport so no pics yet to help, but I am looking at a 1915 Erfurt Kar98 A that looks to be restocked with a 1920 stock. It has crack the length of the handguard and is missing the stacking hook (looks cut off because the plate is still there). Numbers appear to be matching and no import marks so I'm, told. Any thoughts on what a fair price to offer is in this condition?

I know nothing about German Mausers, though I just bought Backbone of the Wehrmact and Military Mausers which aren't a whole lot of help here.

Thanks, and any references you recommend on THIS era of rifle is appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, regarding books, Mike Steves and Bruce karem's Vol. I (the site covers the book in considerable detail, some of the forum sections are dedicated to this book) and Dr. Storz book on the Modell98 rifle and carbine are the only two books worth getting on the topic of Imperial and interwar German rifles. Neither will be a lot of help in detailing production numbers or values on the rifles though, this you will need to provide details about the rifle. The article I wrote on Erfurt will give generally information about numbers made, - or rather estimated numbers made based upon observations (Erfurt/15 - 312,000 Kar.98a).

Assuming the stock doesn't match, which seems to be what you are suggesting, then the value is significantly reduced. If the action is "Imperial" and has a original-matching bolt and the stock is decent then I would say $500-600, maybe a little more if it is attractive. The stock will be the big factor in value, the worse it is the less it is worth... stocks are the most valuable part of a Kar.98a, - actually for almost any German rifle - so pay particular attention to it. The cut stacking hook and crack are not deal killers, many Kar.98a have these problems, handguards are fragile and crack easily, and some hooks were cut off in the interwar period. While distractions, the important thing is that the stock is nice and original, not abused, with clear markings. Of course if the handguard is seriously damaged (and it sounds like it might be) that would be important, small cracks can be glued nicely, splintered handguards are hardly a handguard at all...

Good morning,

I am travelling and at an airport so no pics yet to help, but I am looking at a 1915 Erfurt Kar98 A that looks to be restocked with a 1920 stock. It has crack the length of the handguard and is missing the stacking hook (looks cut off because the plate is still there). Numbers appear to be matching and no import marks so I'm, told. Any thoughts on what a fair price to offer is in this condition?

I know nothing about German Mausers, though I just bought Backbone of the Wehrmact and Military Mausers which aren't a whole lot of help here.

Thanks, and any references you recommend on THIS era of rifle is appreciated.

Military Rifle Journal
Back