Third Party Press

KKW sling

Correct kkw sling

The reproduction sling fits a kkw, but isn't quite accurate. Please see the specification/design drawing in Mr Jon Speed's book on Mauser smallbore rifles for proper specs. The eBay vendor will work with you to make a better kkw version, if you ask. The belting leather, buckle and keeper can't be supplied as accurately dimensioned as originals, but the resulting sling is more appropriate than a kar 98a version.

I had talked to him Mike Welser, and he would make it with the appropriate 4 tear drop holes. I don't know if the frosch will fit teh cut out, but a standard 98K frosch is a little too bigg for the cut out. Not sure how his will fit. Ron

I had talked to him Mike Welser, and he would make it with the appropriate 4 tear drop holes. I don't know if the frosch will fit the cut out, but a standard 98K frosch is a little too big for the cut out. Not sure how his will fit. Ron

I just measured one of his compared to a k98 and kkw keeper. Couple of interesting things, one is that the BSW's that I have match the stock keeper slot width of the BNZ k98, so a typical 98 keeper would probably fit (all that I use do fit albeit tightly). Second thing is that the slot width of a 240,000 range GW kkw is about 2.5mm narrower than the BSW's. Third is that the repro keepers' post is 6mm behind the k98 and kkw posts. Disclaimer: I only checked one k98 sling, two kkw slings and one repro sling so that hardly represents a valid statistical sample. Another thing I tried in the past was using non-k98 keepers, but these had brass posts and didn't look much better than reproductions.

I was going to order one of the slings but decide against it. I just didn't like the fit of the frosch not fitting in the cut out. I know it is minor to some, but to me I would rather not have the sling if it is not going to fit. Ron

Military Rifle Journal
Back