Third Party Press

PTR44 Semi-Auto MP44

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Picked this up when they were available. Pretty neat rifle, people have had a lot of issues with them breaking the ears from op rods and such, so much so that Recon Ordnance has started making new bolts and other parts. I wish SSD would ship some replacement parts in. I'm having an issue with mine at the moment, the bolt hangs up in the receiver and jams. I haven't had too much time to worry about it, but the gun has fired several hundred rounds with not other issues. Still, it's great to look at and cheaper than the transferable Stg44 I sold off years ago (wish I still had it though). I refinished the trigger group and handguard in light parkerize to simulate the dual tone guns, what can I say I love phosphate. :thumbsup:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• rside.jpg
    rside.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,301
  • lside.jpg
    lside.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,300
PTR-44 bullet button

Ever since Dianne Feinstein decided to launch her full scale assault on legal gun ownership, questions have come up to what extend we -as historic rifle collectors- will be affected by her proposals. It is now clear that it will all boil down to the magazine. If the magazine is considered detachable, and BTW, this will also be of concern if you own certain G43 models, the rifle may be classified and vilified as an "assault rifle" if it has at least one other feature as innocent as a muzzle nut (the "threaded barrel" part of Feinstein's proposal).

Past restrictions in California have led to the development of the bullet button. Relying on a tool for ejecting the magazine instead of simply pressing a release button -in this case using the tip of a bullet- makes the magazine a fixed magazine in the eye of the law (well, the LEOs may still see it differently but there's a flyer with guidelines issued by the Sacramento PD that every owner of an "assault rifle" should carry along with the rifle). Once the magazine is considered fixed, muzzle nuts and pistol grips become a non-issue.

Assuming that the whole nation will soon be as screwed up as California, I have decided to be pro-active and I've looked into developing a "fixed magazine" feature for the PTR-44. The first 2 pictures below show the piece parts of the original push button release, followed by my fixed magazine conversion. I decided not to use a bullet tip as means of releasing the magazine catch but to built a custom 2-prong tool in order to distinguish my contraption from the current AR-style bullet buttons with their known workarounds (magnetic button insert etc. <--felony!!!). In case our elected officials keep pushing us further against the wall by simply outlawing all detachable magazines, bullet button or not, I have already come up with with a solution making the magazine permanently attached (in lawmakers' lingo, "permanently attached" means you can't remove the magazine without first taking the action apart). Loading the non-detachable magazine will turn into a major PITA, though.

Attachments

• original_1.JPG
    original_1.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 117
  • original_2.JPG
    original_2.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 92
  • mod_1.JPG
    mod_1.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 89
  • mod_2.JPG
    mod_2.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 80
  • mod_3.JPG
    mod_3.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 78
  • mod_4.JPG
    mod_4.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 103
  • mod_5.JPG
    mod_5.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 96
  • mod_6.JPG
    mod_6.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 94
  • mod_7.JPG
    mod_7.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 89
  • mod_8.JPG
    mod_8.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 95
PTR-44 Owners Welcome!

Thanks to mrfarb for setting up this thread, the old PTR section in the G/K43 forum held a ton of information. Welcome to new members from the old forum, nice to have you aboard. Here's a couple of photos of mine in various "forms", full pimped and otherwise. :googlie

Hey farb, love the phosphate man!

G

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 2,104
  • DSC_0039.jpg
    DSC_0039.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 2,114
  • DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 2,119
Welcome home, former G/K43 members

PTR-44 with bullet button conversion, 10rd SSD/BD44 mag, ZF4 "dow" scope and Sarco G43 scope mount.

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

Ware did you guys get the 10 rounders??? are they modded 30 rounders?

Last edited:

My mag is a BD44 mag made by SSD and came directly from Germany, modified with a U.S. made ReconOrdnance extended length follower. Maybe MARSTAR of Canada who import BD44 rifles from SSD have the 10 rounders in stock. You could also call ReconOrdnance and see if they still sell the 10 rd mags. I remember they used to sell for about $200 here in the U.S.

The other option would be to cut a 30rd mag short, put a small lip for the floorplate around the bottom and install an AR spring. There's a problem with the 10rd legal mags, though: If you shorten it to hold 10 rounds plus a little bit of wiggle room on top, you cant completely insert it with the bolt closed. You must pull the charging handle back when inserting the mag. If you leave the mag just a tad longer so you can insert it with the bolt closed, surprisingly there is enough room in the mag for an 11th round, and that makes it a felony in nanny states like California.

I picked mine up from a private seller in Holland some years back, only one I've seen other than in books so I grabbed it. Appears to be original and is stamped with a tiny eagle proof on the front edge, see the page on Claus's site here:

http://claus.espeholt.dk/mp44.htm

I can say it functions flawlessly on both my PTR44 and MP44. Great for shooting from the bench with a scope.:thumbsup:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 2,102
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 2,098
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 2,053
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 2,039
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 2,096
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 2,071
Last edited:
Did the maker of the PTRs make or at least think of making krummerlaufs? Would be kind of cool to have for the sake of having.

I picked mine up from a private seller in Holland some years back, only one I've seen other than in books so I grabbed it. Appears to be original and is stamped with a tiny eagle proof on the front edge, see the page on Claus's site here:

http://claus.espeholt.dk/mp44.htm

I can say it functions flawlessly on both my PTR44 and MP44. Great for shooting from the bench with a scope.:thumbsup:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That is a great find.

My mag is a BD44 mag made by SSD and came directly from Germany, modified with a U.S. made ReconOrdnance extended length follower. Maybe MARSTAR of Canada who import BD44 rifles from SSD have the 10 rounders in stock. You could also call ReconOrdnance and see if they still sell the 10 rd mags. I remember they used to sell for about $200 here in the U.S.

The other option would be to cut a 30rd mag short, put a small lip for the floorplate around the bottom and install an AR spring. There's a problem with the 10rd legal mags, though: If you shorten it to hold 10 rounds plus a little bit of wiggle room on top, you cant completely insert it with the bolt closed. You must pull the charging handle back when inserting the mag. If you leave the mag just a tad longer so you can insert it with the bolt closed, surprisingly there is enough room in the mag for an 11th round, and that makes it a felony in nanny states like California.

Thanks for the info, shooting the 30 rounders from the bench is APITA.

Mp44/ptr44

Good to see some more activity re the Sturmgewehr rifles here. It'd be good if many of the guys from GK43 forum find their way over. I've got a few semis I built up as well as a post MG I shoot most every weekend. I've got rear rec. sections I made and recoil springs I had 100 of made if anyones needing.
Working towards getting rec. blocks made.
Pete in St. Louis 07/C2

short mag

That is a great find.

I made a 15 rd. from an original that was crushed at the bottom. Used an AR spring and a Recon. floorplate.
I cut the body as needed and flanged the bottom for the plate. Works well and almost a required item for bench shooting/sighting in.
Pete

Got room for a BD44 in this thread? Proudly sporting NO 922r compliance parts ;) All furniture (HG, grips, butt) is real MP44 on this one. I have a real oprod here too, just looking for a real bolt to replace the SSD parts. Just because. I have a handful of real mags (surplus out of Yugoslavia) too that I use in it.

Got room for a BD44 in this thread? Proudly sporting NO 922r compliance parts ;) All furniture (HG, grips, butt) is real MP44 on this one. I have a real oprod here too, just looking for a real bolt to replace the SSD parts. Just because. I have a handful of real mags (surplus out of Yugoslavia) too that I use in it.

Nice Rifle, have you had any problems with it. From what I understand an original Bolt won't work in the SSD Gun. (too large)

M.

So... this is where all the guys went from Gk43...:googlie Nice to see some familiar posters here. I was sad when all our years of accumulated data on the PTR44 disappeared. I'm sure certain posters here can chime in on the people who are new to the rifle and need info. I, for one, have no probem commenting/complaining about this rifle. Teehee

Military Rifle Journal
Back