Third Party Press

walther g43 with machined rec. with the tall narrow G ?

mauser99

the was a 1st for me. Looking at this rifle for the second time and many examples or G43's with cosmetically machine receivers I have only to this point noticed that the G43 marking was very consistent and I assumed was applied where they were made as the marking doesn't chande even after the switch to k43.. Looking at this early I block example I noticed the G was the tall thin Walther used G. On no other rifle Have I seen this. Anyone else ?

And yes, this is the mint example found @ Allentown...

added; the image to the right is the standard G found on 99.9% of all machined g43 rec.

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 12%20MR%20FARB%20002.jpg
    12%20MR%20FARB%20002.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Good observation.

Were both receivers made by Walther? I assume the ac45 was a left over receiver from the French contract and the earlier one might be an actual Walther made receiver? .

There seems to be at least 3 different machined receivers. The French made version the second being walther werke II which has a separate proof on them. Then this type. This one has just the e/359 like a standard rough forged rec. I was always under the assumption that the G43 applied after machining and before the finish was applied. That's why its consistent. And always remained even after the name change.

Variation in "G43" Markings

Here is a photo of my earlier "l" block with the tall narrow "G" marking. Note that your later rifle receiver is marked with the "ac 44" in a straight line the same as this one. This one is definitely the rough forged version! Any idea what the "27" might indicate (FYI, this is a matching sniper)?

attachment.php

Here's the "n" block machined receiver markings. Wider type "G" deeply stamped, note "ac" is now stamped over the "44". Cosmetically machined, dark grey phosphate finish.

attachment.php

My dual stamped no letter block "45". Same deep and wide "G" marking, cosmetically machined receiver.

attachment.php

Here is a bcd cosmetically machined receiver for reference with the same deep, wide "G" marking. This one has the correct WaA for the St. Etienne produced recievers marked internally at the rear if I remember correctly.

attachment.php

Any thoughts or comments?

Attachments

• DSC_0055.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC_0209.jpg
    DSC_0209.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC_0142.jpg
    DSC_0142.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC_0044_3.jpg
    DSC_0044_3.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 129
thanks Greg.. Yes same stamping method on you're i block . It just goes to show there are always one that will throw us for a loop. Im sure there are more out there but, This is the only one Ive ever seen.
Walther was the only maker to use the Narrow G. and to this point on their in house rough forged receivers.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, as they say. Thanks for posting yhe pics. Obviously, different die stamps were used.

I suspect the number stamped may be a type of "assembly" number, as part of the "sniper" process when it was built. Just a guess here though. Out of curiosity, does the stock have the same number written in it someplace?

Here is a photo of mine, it also has a tall narrow G. Walther manufactured h block.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 41
thanks.. nothing odd about a walther with narrow G in a rough out receiver. They are common.
Standard fat G was I thought was only found on the type 1 rec.

Have you removed the stock? Any evidence the receiver could have been a previously rejected early Walter cosmetically machined type 1?

Pictures are worth a thousand words, as they say. Thanks for posting yhe pics. Obviously, different die stamps were used.

I suspect the number stamped may be a type of "assembly" number, as part of the "sniper" process when it was built. Just a guess here though. Out of curiosity, does the stock have the same number written in it someplace?

Thanks Brian, it's been awhile since I have had the matching sniper apart... I'll take a look at my photos. I don't know if I have ever had the butt plate off to check stock markings. I don't recall seeing the "27" anywhere else but you never know. I'll check it out and let you know... Is it an "i" block or "L" block? Wayne seems to think it might be an "i" block but I don't see it unless they used a bad die. It looks the same as his at the start of the thread to me.

G

Military Rifle Journal
Back