Third Party Press

First Post

Waffentag

I just rejoined this forum. I used to be on the G43/K43 forum.

I see some familiar names here.

I am still shooting my PTR 44, also picked up a couple of GEW 98s,

Pat

finding

I just rejoined this forum. I used to be on the G43/K43 forum.

I see some familiar names here.

I am still shooting my PTR 44, also picked up a couple of GEW 98s,

Pat

Good to see guys from GK finding their way here Pat.
Had my Sturms out today burning up 8Kurz, ringing the gongs!
Just sent payment for a dewat MP44. Transfering on a form 5 SOT to SOT. Sure hope it does not take forever for paperwork to clear!
Pete in St. Louis

Anyone see the PTR44 sell on Gunbroker yesterday for over $7500? It had some extras with it and was unfired. It was item# 362326169

Last edited:
Ptr 44

Yes, I saw that, Wow, they keep going up.

I just loaded a bunch of rounds with my Dillon 550B, so I can shoot it this weekend, I found a welder who makes steel targets, swingers and spinners for rifle,

Pat

It is good to see some familiar names from the old forum.

Yes, I saw that, Wow, they keep going up.

I just loaded a bunch of rounds with my Dillon 550B, so I can shoot it this weekend, I found a welder who makes steel targets, swingers and spinners for rifle,

Pat

It is good to see some familiar names from the old forum.

Pat,
Would you consider sharing you reloading data for the 8mm Kurz? I have the components to reload about 800 but not sure what a good recipe is?

...not sure what a good recipe is?

So far I've had good results with 125gr Hornady #3231 bullets in PRVI Partizan brass, propelled by 21gr of IMR4227 and CCI #34 primers. Less than 21gr of propellant sometimes leads to FTE and stove piping.

8 kurz load

Interesting! I just put 150 together with that exact load.
Was loading 20.5 of the IMR4227, but they chronoed a bit slower than I wanted. The 21.0 gr. should be perfect.
Pete

Load

Roger that, 21 grains of IMR 4227 has worked for me before.

I just loaded up a hundred rounds of Hornady with 20.6 grains of H4227.

I got a bunch of powder at an auction, so I though I would give it a try.

I am going to ping some Steel targets tommorrow, I will let you know how it functions?

Pat

Interesting! I just put 150 together with that exact load.
Was loading 20.5 of the IMR4227, but they chronoed a bit slower than I wanted. The 21.0 gr. should be perfect.
Pete

H4227

I fired about 50 rounds of Hornady 125 bullets loaded with Hodgdon 4227. It held the same zero as the IMR 4227.

I got some steel targets rated for rifle and we had them swinging.

The only problem that I had was a flipped primer. My fault, sometimes that happens, I should have checked. No harm done this time.

The Dillion 550 B does a pretty good job cranking the rounds out. 7,92x33 loads pretty easily and both the IMR and H4227 meter well out the Dillon powder dispenser. I bought an AK Powder Funnel, number 13587 and had my gun smith enlarge it for 7.92.
It works like a charm, I can crank out 8mm Kurz nearly as fast as 9mm. 8mm Kurz is much faster and easier to load than any other rifle catridge that I load. It is a great case to reload.

On a side note, we also fired my matching 1914 Gew 98. It shot great but I did have some problems with some surplus ammo. It came in 50 round boxes, I think that it is from Argentina? The primers were so deep that the firing pin was not hitting them?

Also, any info on Good bullet powder combinations for my gew98 would be appreciated.

Pat

Last edited:
Also, any info on Good bullet powder combinations for my gew98 would be appreciated.
Pat

Glad to hear that H4227 is as good as IMR4227. I have first hand knowledge of the flipped primer goof, it happened to me once and it was scary. Reloading is a full time, 100% concentration task; no booze, no talking and no football in the background or you're setting yourself up for disaster. Had a guy next to me at the range who had forgotten to fill the cartridge with powder. Luckily, he immediately quit firing when it went "pop" instead of "BANG!!!" Propelled only by primer pressure, the bullet had entered the barrel far enough to just allow for another round to be chambered. Someone less alert than him might have chambered the next round and pulled the trigger, possibly with fatal consequences.

For K98 rifles I prefer 185gr Remington Core-Lokt bullets pressed into resized Wolf or Partizan brass, using Winchester LR or Remington 9-1/2 large rifle primers and 41gr of IMR4064. With good headspace, this combination is easily good for 8-12 reloads before the necks start splitting. If they survived 8 reloads for the K98 without splitting, they are reloaded for my G/K43. After a few cycles through the G/K43, the brass is so dinged, nicked and beat up that I can finally retire the cases.

8mm Loads

It figures, IMR 4064, I use it for my groundhog rifle, a Styer SSG in 243 and my hunting rifles in 308.

4064 is good for a number of uses. I want to burn up some of that odd powder that I got at auction. I understand that the Gew 98 likes the heavier bullets.

I will use try your load with 4064 when I get my LSR sniper clone back. I bought a nice Russian Import K98k mismatch that is having an LSR Zleiss Zeilsechs put on it,

Pat

QUOTE=GunKraut;64384]Glad to hear that H4227 is as good as IMR4227. I have first hand knowledge of the flipped primer goof, it happened to me once and it was scary. Reloading is a full time, 100% concentration task; no booze, no talking and no football in the background or you're setting yourself up for disaster. Had a guy next to me at the range who had forgotten to fill the cartridge with powder. Luckily, he immediately quit firing when it went "pop" instead of "BANG!!!" Propelled only by primer pressure, the bullet had entered the barrel far enough to just allow for another round to be chambered. Someone less alert than him might have chambered the next round and pulled the trigger, possibly with fatal consequences.

For K98 rifles I prefer 185gr Remington Core-Lokt bullets pressed into resized Wolf or Partizan brass, using Winchester LR or Remington 9-1/2 large rifle primers and 41gr of IMR4064. With good headspace, this combination is easily good for 8-12 reloads before the necks start splitting. If they survived 8 reloads for the K98 without splitting, they are reloaded for my G/K43. After a few cycles through the G/K43, the brass is so dinged, nicked and beat up that I can finally retire the cases.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
8mm Loads

It figures, IMR 4064, I use it for groundhog rifle, a Styer SSG in 243 and my hunting rifles in 308.

4064 is good for a number of uses. I want to burn up some of that odd powder that I got at auction. I understand that the Gew 98 likes the heavier bullets.

I will use try your load with 4064 when I get my LSR sniper clone back. I bought a nice Russian Import K98k mismatch that is having an LSR Zleiss sechs put on it,

Pat

QUOTE=GunKraut;64384]Glad to hear that H4227 is as good as IMR4227. I have first hand knowledge of the flipped primer goof, it happened to me once and it was scary. Reloading is a full time, 100% concentration task; no booze, no talking and no football in the background or you're setting yourself up for disaster. Had a guy next to me at the range who had forgotten to fill the cartridge with powder. Luckily, he immediately quit firing when it went "pop" instead of "BANG!!!" Propelled only by primer pressure, the bullet had entered the barrel far enough to just allow for another round to be chambered. Someone less alert than him might have chambered the next round and pulled the trigger, possibly with fatal consequences.

For K98 rifles I prefer 185gr Remington Core-Lokt bullets pressed into resized Wolf or Partizan brass, using Winchester LR or Remington 9-1/2 large rifle primers and 41gr of IMR4064. With good headspace, this combination is easily good for 8-12 reloads before the necks start splitting. If they survived 8 reloads for the K98 without splitting, they are reloaded for my G/K43. After a few cycles through the G/K43, the brass is so dinged, nicked and beat up that I can finally retire the cases.[/QUOTE]

8 Kurz

Roger that, 21 grains of IMR 4227 has worked for me before.

I just loaded up a hundred rounds of Hornady with 20.6 grains of H4227.

I got a bunch of powder at an auction, so I though I would give it a try.

I am going to ping some Steel targets tommorrow, I will let you know how it functions?

Pat

I just primed some sized cases with magnum primers a guy gave me. I figure I'll need to reduce my load some, but I'll have to experiment some.
Could not turn down 1K free primers
Pete.

Danger Will Robinson

I am not sure that I would do that in a semi auto with such a small case.

I would just trade them with someone for regular large rifle primers.

Do you have any old reloading books, I have a big can of IMR4831 and would like to use it for 150 grain 8x57 in my Gew and K98? My books do not list it, but I did find a load on line, but rather see it in a book.

On a side note, Did anyone ever come up with a load for 8mm x33 with 150'grsins for when the 125s dry up?

Pat

I just primed some sized cases with magnum primers a guy gave me. I figure I'll need to reduce my load some, but I'll have to experiment some.
Could not turn down 1K free primers
Pete.

old loading book data

I am not sure that I would do that in a semi auto with such a small case.

I would just trade them with someone for regular large rifle primers.

Do you have any old reloading books, I have a big can of IMR4831 and would like to use it for 150 grain 8x57 in my Gew and K98? My books do not list it, but I did find a load on line, but rather see it in a book.

On a side note, Did anyone ever come up with a load for 8mm x33 with 150'grsins for when the 125s dry up?

Pat
I have several. Some of the loads in them compared to some more recent ones are quite different. (hotter).
I'll look.
Get you a bunch of the 125 gr. Hornady from Graff and Sons while they still have them. Got 2500 last month to go with the 2500 I already had.
Had a guy make me some gas checked hard lead 125 gr. I shot them same as the jacketed with no leading. Not as accurate though.
By the time I pay him to make them and buy the gas checks I'm about as well off to just buy the Hornady.
Pete

IMR4831 in 8 Mauser

I checked a number of older loading manuals and found little for 4831 in 8X57 using a 150 gr. bullet.
A fairly current Lee manual was the only one I found. It showed a start load of 51.2 and a maximum of 57 grains.
There are many loads for heavier bullets than 150, so I'm thinking 4831 is not considered particularly suitable for the lighter bullets in 8X57.
Pete

8x57 loads

Thanks, What edition was it, I will just try to buy it on line.

I also have some heavier 8mm bullets, 175, 200 and 220. The 220 is not something that I would want to shoot a lot of out of a G33/40 or K98. I bet the Gew 98 would not be too bad.

Pat

QUOTE=shortfal;64589]I checked a number of older loading manuals and found little for 4831 in 8X57 using a 150 gr. bullet.
A fairly current Lee manual was the only one I found. It showed a start load of 51.2 and a maximum of 57 grains.
There are many loads for heavier bullets than 150, so I'm thinking 4831 is not considered particularly suitable for the lighter bullets in 8X57.
Pete[/QUOTE]

Military Rifle Journal
Back