PDA

View Full Version : Dating a 3x luxor 3x oigee scope

MrHaney
08-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Hi
can anyone date what year a luxor 3x serial number 66800 oigee was made?? Pre ww1 or post ww1

I SAW FROM THE OTHER POST THAT IT MAY BE A PRE WAR, WW1. DID THE GERMAN USE SCOPES WITH THER SERIAL NUMBER ON THEM?? AND COULD THIS SCOPE HAVE BEEN USED IN WW11
REGARDS
BOB

jlj
08-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Don't know about them, but I have 2 3x Gerard scopes with different types of mounts, but both have the range settings on top of the elevation adjuster. The one with a gew # visible on it has the early type reticle with a pointer coming down from the top to go with the normal pointed post and cross bars. It is the double claw front with offset rear claws. Have you tried the sniper forum at gunboards? It has people interested in sniper rifles from many eras and types. JL

MrHaney
08-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Hi
i think this site is going to be better then the other sites. To many know it all on the others

Dave Roberts
08-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Robert
I can not help You with this one, But if You can not find out what You are looking for let me know and I know Two WWI Scope Collectors who should be able to help . Sorry I could not assist on this one . Very Best Regards

vaughn99
08-22-2010, 03:30 PM
from my research and of course nothing is ever set is stone during WWI the Military reticule #1 is 3 bars (left, Right, Bottom) with pointed post coming down from the top. then post WWI military reticule became 2 side bars (left and right) with pointed post coming from the bottom up. this is how you can ROUGHLY date some of the older type scopes and the post WWI or commonly know WWII sniper reticule will NOT be found before 1918. the Luxor scope you asked about appears to have a Fixed OR post war UPGRADED reticule post WWI. the scope is all correct for WWI sniper but the reticule and it even has, though not readable a GEW# on the top of the tube behind the adj tower better pics are needed. I have several scopes observed and like WWII it looks like some sold commercial scopes were upgraded to sniper status as i have gap of commercials scope between serials that are NON sniper scopes. my serials study shows a grouping of scopes in the 35,000-75,000 like i said before with MANY commercial scopes in between. with that said i also have to state from 29,500-85,500 the only scope observed is a Luxor 3x not other magnifications have yet to be observed my first Luxor 4x is serial 100,100.

later
vaughn

MrHaney
08-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Thank you vaughn,
i knew you would help and tell me about this scope.
Best regards
bob