Third Party Press

SSD MP40/MP38 imported by I.O. for sale in Alaska

d dAY dOG

Hi Guys -

One of the few SSD MP40s ("MP38-C"s) imported by I.O. several years ago. This is the only other SSD weapon I am aware of in Alaska besides my PTR44.

http://www.gunrunners.com/index.php?a=2&b=7736

$8300 is a high price for this, but then again, only so many of them got into the country - and likely no more will. I saw one of the USA made ones manufactured by Schoesser? (sp?) sell for close to this a few years ago. I guess people will pay whatever they want if they really want something. :googlie I actually saw this weapon in person when the guy was doing the FFL transfer and, I gotta say, it is very well made from the appearance. However, I heard from some friends who saw the guy firing it on the ranges that it jammed a lot - I've also heard these weapons are very ammo picky....

Thoughts? Opinions?

D Day

For 8300 couldn't you buy a decent tube gun?

Yes, or at least four or five high end German P.35(b)s (High Powers). Something about a big ole giant semi-auto MP.40 pistol with a permanently fixed stock in the closed position is not appealing to me. It's not practical for shooting and it isn't really collectible. Sorry. Now, full auto is a whole different story, and that price is right at F/A as Ryan pointed out.......

Yes, or at least four or five high end German P.35(b)s (High Powers). Something about a big ole giant semi-auto MP.40 pistol with a permanently fixed stock in the closed position is not appealing to me. It's not practical for shooting and it isn't really collectible. Sorry. Now, full auto is a whole different story, and that price is right at F/A as Ryan pointed out.......

That was my thought. I've seen nice tube gun examples selling for around $9000 +/-. I know that only 300 of these SA MPs made it into the US before I.O. cut them off from importation (2008/2009) so there aren't a lot out there, but they sold them at that time for what I believe was $3500 a pc., which is still a lot of money - they may have even gone up to $5,000. No way would I pay $8300 for one - not unless it was FA. And the pinned stock is unappealing to me as well. I know of one person who claimed that he tried to get one of these weapons turned into a registered SBR and, per my recollection, he was either turned down or it was just too much of a hassle that he didn't do it. I might be in for a plinker one of these at $2500, but that will never happen. Besides, GSG is working on trying to get a .22 cal. version (pinned stock too) of these put into production like they did with the MP44s and those would cost around $500-$700 a pc. If you feel the need for something like this, then I'd hold out to see if those come in instead and have a much cheaper plinker version.

Definitely not worth that type of coin, IMHO...

I owned the SSD BD38 up here in Canuckistan until earlier this year when the RCMP (after these rifles being legally sold in the country for 5 years) decided that they were "easily convertible" to full auto, and confiscated all 66 privately owned legally held BD38s... :facepalm: Including mine...

Of course, up here in the "Not so North as Alaska, Great White North" we were allowed the open bolt version (which I assumed was deemed a No-No by the BATF in the USA) as well as a fully functional folding stock. Of course, due to it's barrel length, it was considered a "Restricted" class firearm, and thus could only ever be fired at a Government approved Firing Range.

They were ammo sensitive, and I think I only ever got through 1 mag ever without a FTE or other jam... (Also, due to Canadian Law, my mags had to be pinned to 5 rounds max) :thumbsup:

Very cool, and almost identical to a real MP38/40 inside and out. (Hence why the RCMP maintained it could be easily converted I suppose...)

If anyone is thinking of one at over $8000... save the money and buy the real deal or a tube gun.. IMO.

Cheers!

Of course, up here in the "Not so North as Alaska, Great White North" we were allowed the open bolt version (which I assumed was deemed a No-No by the BATF in the USA) as well as a fully functional folding stock. Of course, due to it's barrel length, it was considered a "Restricted" class firearm, and thus could only ever be fired at a Government approved Firing Range.

Exactly right - no open bolt versions here in the USA and, of course, the folded stock working would have made it an SBR. I'd read earlier about the "buy-back" program on these SSD guns in Canada. Seems ridiculously unfair to declare them okay for sale and then change their minds - but then they make the laws. I imagine with enough experience, tools, and determination, many SA weapons can be made to fire FA. Of course, you can always try and bump fire whatever you have if the caliber is strong enough. Not appealing.

Now if I could ever get my paws on one of SSDs MKb42s... I might pay some dough for that. :thumbsup:

D Day

Military Rifle Journal
Back