Third Party Press

Ammo Question

Ammo Question - New K98 Owner

Hello, my uncle recently left me a K98 rifle he brought home from WW2. It was measured by a gunsmith to have a .318 bore. From what I have read online, ammo seems to come in a "J" or "JS" type. Can anyone help me with what type of ammo I should buy for this rifle?
Thank you!

Last edited:
It's supposed to be 8mm, does the barrel have any markings on it? There are many sources of ammo for it if it's the original barrel/caliber.

First, what kind of rifle is it? Pics. Second, the .318 diameter bullet (I think the J bullet) was replaced before WW1 with the S bullet of .323. You don't want to be trying to shoot .323 bullets in a bore for a .318 bullet. Modern (post WW1) 7.92 / 8mm Mauser ammunition is .323 S bullet (pointed, S, Spitzer). Don't shoot anything until a gunsmith checks it out for you.

First, what kind of rifle is it? Pics. Second, the .318 diameter bullet (I think the J bullet) was replaced before WW1 with the S bullet of .323. You don't want to be trying to shoot .323 bullets in a bore for a .318 bullet. Modern (post WW1) 7.92 / 8mm Mauser ammunition is .323 S bullet (pointed, S, Spitzer). Don't shoot anything until a gunsmith checks it out for you.

These are the two best pictures I have right now, because I left it with a gunsmith.

Attachments

• IMG_4709.jpg
    IMG_4709.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5777.jpg
    IMG_5777.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 82
That one looks to be in rough shape. Is it missing a barrel band? Incorrect bolt? How is the bore?

Given the pics, this is a Kar98k and should be quite shootable with any modern commercial or common surplus 8x57 Mauser ammo.

As a machinist, I have to question your gunsmith, and how he measured the bore. On this rifle, .318 should not come up on a micrometer off of a bore slug. Lands at .311, grooves at .323 should be typical for a s.S. bore. +/- a tenth or 2.

Sights are regulated for a 198 grain pill, standard WW2 German ammo.

Bolt is not correct, if in the hands of a gunsmith, he should check headspace, and overall condition as it pertains to shooting it safely.

Share more pics! Looks like an original condition later war gun with white glue laminate. Any info on the provenance, unit your uncle served in, where the rifle was captured, et al. would only add to the story of this rifle.

Your gun smith has his head up his a$$.

I certainly would not trust the jerk.

Provided the rifle has it's original barrel it is chambered for .323 ammo and that is just the fact of the matter.

Frankly you gun smith is an absolute idiot.....

Find another guy who doesn't munch on stupid pills ......

Try using commercial ammo in it only. Remington 8mm mauser ammo is loaded to a lower pressure than standard surplus 8mm so you shouldn't have any issues with using it. I started off using it in my mausers than decided to go the surplus ammo route after I had gained confidence in my rifles' durability. Hope this helps you out.

Right. Don't over think this. 8mm Mauser is the ammo the rifle uses. That's 8x57mm, also expressed as 7.92x57. On the shank of the barrel right at the receiver there'll be an original marking for measured true caliber, in mm. Most will say 7.92.

There are no standards for gunsmiths. Anyone is a gunsmith who says he is. Go on reputation, and be knowledgeable yourself.

Military Rifle Journal
Back