Third Party Press

Russian Tula PEM sniper

mdarnell19

Beavis Moderator
Staff member
Here is the latest sniper I have picked up. It is a 1939 Tula side mount PEM sniper made in late 1939. This rifle is factory matching except the scope mount. It was captured by Finland during the war and some how escaped being rebuilt by them. It displays some cool features like the relief cut behind the rear barrel bands. Originally the bases and scope mounts were numbered to each other, not the rifle. I have been looking for a factory original one for many years and am very excited to finally have one.

39 PEM (1).JPG39 PEM (2).jpg39 PEM (3).jpg39 PEM (4).jpg39 PEM (6).jpg39 PEM (8).jpg39 PEM (9).jpg39 PEM (13).jpg39 PEM (14).jpg39 PEM (11).jpg39 PEM (29).jpg39 PEM (15).jpg39 PEM (18).jpg

Wanted to add this picture of a German soldier using a PEM.

Sniper 176.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my entire Russian sniper collection. All factory matching except scopes.
1. 1939 Tula PEM
2. 1941 Tula SVT 40
3. 1944 Izhevsk PU
Also in the pictures is one pair of 1938 binoculars, one pair of 1942 binoculars with case and a war time sniper badge.

Attachments

• Russian Sniper Collection (2).jpg
    Russian Sniper Collection (2).jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 109
Very Nice Collection Matt . I like Your Finn PEM . At least the Finns weren't Commi Bastards !!!!!!
Finns Improved the looks of the Rifle with the SA Stamp .:laugh:
:thumbsup:

Very nice PEM. Here is mine

Attachments

• PEM0001.jpg
    PEM0001.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 101
  • PEM0002.jpg
    PEM0002.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 74
  • PEM0003.jpg
    PEM0003.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 89
  • PEM0004.jpg
    PEM0004.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 96
  • PEM0005.jpg
    PEM0005.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 73
  • PEM0006.jpg
    PEM0006.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 69
  • PEM0007.jpg
    PEM0007.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 75
  • PEM0009.jpg
    PEM0009.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 56
  • PEM0011.jpg
    PEM0011.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 65
  • PEM0012.jpg
    PEM0012.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 69
Have to visit him again to see it, but my dad was handed an Ishevsk 91/30 PU by an ARVN Major on his way to the airport after his second Advisor tour, sans scope though. They put a small plaque on it in his honor as it was the same unit he spent his first Advisor year with. The ARVN staff and Battalion leaders had 'grown up' with him, and my dad still thinks of them too. That plaque is worth more to him than the entire rig. Some years back got him a PU scope and mount for it (through Globe Militaria I believe). Will post pics next time I get a chance.

Nice, where did you find it? Since we're playing, here is my Finn PE with a repro mount

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

Nice, where did you find it? Since we're playing, here is my Finn PE with a repro mount
It came from a friend. I had to pay a big premium but I was willing to because I wanted one really bad it is the only factory original I have ever seen. I am sure there are others but not many so didn't want to pass on the opportunity.

Thanks for sharing your rifle. Can you please post some more pictures? I would love to see the numbered parts and the inside of the receiver. Did it have it's original bolt? In my experience the vast majority of Finn captures had their bases and bolts removed.

What is wrong with it?
Jack

The bolt, floorplate, and buttplate have been renumbered. I am not certain if the 'СП' is real or not.

Scope base looks like it is a repro, and it shouldn't match the rifle SN in any case. Bases/mounts were numbered separately from the rifles, as crazy as that sounds. Mount is bad too.

The rifle was made to fool people, and its a reasonably competent job. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

What is wrong with it?
Jack

I have to say Jack that I agree with Ryan. Look closely at your rifle. The bolt, trigger guard, butt plate and base have all been renumbered to match the barrel. They all display a different font from the barrel which they should not. The first letter prefix and No. 2 are the biggest difference. As Ryan pointed out the base is in fact a reproduction. I have attached a picture a real base for comparison. And originally the bases were never numbered to the rifle but to the scope mount. So that is your first give away. Unfortunately I have seen a few fakes that I believe were done by the same individual. Here are some pictures of a Fake 1936 PE. Look at how similar the serial numbers are to your rifle. And look at the stock acceptance. The Tula star is very strong yet no date can be seen.

PEM Base (1).jpg

PE 36 Fake (2).jpgPE 36 Fake (3).jpgPE 36 Fake (4).jpgPE 36 Fake (5).jpgPE 36 Fake (13).jpg

MD, neat PEM, tough tough tough to find. The Finn-ing doesn't bother me. Gives it some history and there aren't many PEMs out there. Good information in this thread. Pic stickied for ref.

Well, thanks guys. It is always better to know the truth whatever it is. I was fooled, but now I believe you are right in what you saying.

Jack

Well, thanks guys. It is always better to know the truth whatever it is. I was fooled, but now I believe you are right in what you saying.

Jack

It happens to us all Jack. Good news is your rifle still has value as people like these as shooters. And this would be a great looking shooter.

MD, neat PEM, tough tough tough to find. The Finn-ing doesn't bother me. Gives it some history and there aren't many PEMs out there. Good information in this thread. Pic stickied for ref.

Thanks Ham! I love these Russian snipers and they are all very tough to find.

Military Rifle Journal
Back