Third Party Press

To sell G43 with or without ZF4 and mount....that is the question

I am listing one of my G43s on GB starting Saturday (hope this is not appropriate to mention here!) and have received differing advice as to selling it with or without the scope I've been using on it for a couple of years. Some say separate them as a buyer may not care to have the scope. One said sell with with the scope as a 'tested' unit and that anyone who could afford the rifle could likely afford the scope. Thus my question if you care to comment. I am somewhat conflicted but leaning toward separating. Thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

• g4.JPG
    g4.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 110
A question here is whether an original mount or reproduction mount. I’d be tempted to try to sell it with the scope and mount if a reproduction mount and separately if an original mount. Why? Because you’ll be wanting top dollar for the rifle and mount together if an original mount and together they will be out of range for a lot of people. On the other hand, if a reproduction mount, then I think the reproduction mount will add about as much value to the rifle as selling them separately and will stay affordable to a lot of people. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A question here is whether an original mount or reproduction mount. I’d be tempted to try to sell it with the scope and mount if a reproduction mount and separately if an original mount. Why? Because you’ll be wanting top dollar for the rifle and mount together if an original mount and together they will be out of range for a lot of people. On the other hand, if a reproduction mount, then I think the reproduction mount will add about as much value to the rifle as selling them separately and will stay affordable to a lot of people. Just my opinion.

I agree with this. John.

I agree with this. John.

More support for this suggestion.

The only reason to sell the original mount with the rifle is if it is matching to the rifle, then the value of the package increases extraordinarily. Depending on where you are selling, you may be able to advertise the rifle and say that as an extra you have an original none matching mount available for 'x' amount.

Last edited:
If it's matching to the rifle, there is no way in Hell I would separate them. The package is worth a lot more with matching scope mount. If the mount is not matching, then sell the rifle first then sell the scope/mount package. You could list in the sale that you do have the scope/mount set as an option to buy if a buyer would want it. But, a lot of rifle buyers aren't interested in the scope/mount if they aren't matching and they can get into the rifle at a lot lower price than with the scope/mount set up.

looks like a typical super smooth Chinese mount. the rifle on the other hand looks to be a nice BLM made g43..

Thanks for the very helpful input, guys. I had failed to mention that the scope is original, the mount is reproduction. Yes the rifle is a nice BLM. I have taken your advice and listed the scope with mount separately from the rifle. I do have another G43 with an original mount and scope that I have shown here on the forum earlier. I don't anticipate selling that outfit until I'm crawling to my deathbed as it is a bring back with the capture paper. Even though the mount is not serialed to the rifle I would most likely try to sell all as one unit. I've never had the mount off of the rifle and have never even fired the rifle despite having it over 20 years. The BLM I'm selling has been my 'shooter' and it has worked very well with the scope and mount.

And thanks for the info on the mount (China) as I have seen several different reproduction styles on the web and wondered where they are being made. Here's what this mount looks like close up:

Attachments

• IMG_3340 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3340 (Medium).JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3351 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3351 (Medium).JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3349 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3349 (Medium).JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1673 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1673 (Medium).JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1674 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1674 (Medium).JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 36
The mount is certainly Chinese in origin, but at least this series of reproductions generally fit with no modification.

You can purchase them for as low as $125-150 so the scope/mount package would be about $500-600 but omeone might pay a little more.

The mount is certainly Chinese in origin, but at least this series of reproductions generally fit with no modification.

You can purchase them for as low as $125-150 so the scope/mount package would be about $500-600 but omeone might pay a little more.

I think the genuine ZF4s currently go for $600-$700.

Genuine zf4s are all over the place. I have one that I have $250 in and one that I have $750 in (with a very nice original lens cover set and it’s a 3 digit serial in the 200 range (very early)). Still, I think an original zf4 on a repro mount is fair in the $650-$900 range depending on how nice.

Genuine zf4s are all over the place. I have one that I have $250 in and one that I have $750 in (with a very nice original lens cover set and it’s a 3 digit serial in the 200 range (very early)). Still, I think an original zf4 on a repro mount is fair in the $650-$900 range depending on how nice.

You're sure in the ballpark, Joe, as the ZF4 and repro mount sold for $850 as a 'buy now' on second day rather than going to the end of the auction.

I saw that and you did very well. I sold one too but it went for $100 less. I bought that original mount with the replacement lever in the other thread and flipped one of my reproductions on eBay. So I have roughly the same money, $60 different, in that original mount as the reproduction I sold. Still, the one I sold was pretty nice. Here’s the one I sold:
6b5a63045ef41e3d1335ea3c99dc21b6.jpg

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back