Third Party Press

Wehrmacht weapon zeroing in

Stephan98k

aka 8x57IS
I have translated a document and I think you might be interested, it's about zeroing in the M.P. 38. Although it is not specific to the K98k, it's still interesting in my opinion. It shows us the processes at that time when this work has been carried out. Before the zero in shooting they checked as example if the weapon has matching numbers etc.

The whole document is attached.

Regards,
Stephan

638. Zeroing in the M.P. 38.

For zeroing in the M.P. 38, the following regulations apply:

1. The zeroing in of the M.P. 38 takes place after the prior inspection of firearms for freedom from defects by the armorer, according to the general regulations. The selection of the shooters, the execution of the shooting and the scoring is done analogously to H. Dv. 242.

2. The zeroing in is necessary at:

a) All weapons before the start of shooting training,
b) Newly transferred weapons (used and new),
c) Weapons handed over to an Heeresfeldzeugwerkstatt (army field workshop)
for repair, even if they were zeroed in there,
d) Weapons on which repairs have been carried out, according to which the
relevant regulations require zeroing in (adjust a new front sight, a rear sight
leaf etc.),
e) Weapons whose bad score suggests a weapon error.

3. An overfatigue of the zeroing in shooters and any hurry must be avoided.

4. The shooting takes place only in favorable weather. The sight group must not be shining and must be protected against direct sunlight. Before shooting, the shooter has to check the weapon for belonging of the parts, for proper smooth action, trigger action, rear sight leaf and front sight level.
The barrel must be de-oiled.

5. It is shot in sitting position at the zeroing in-table (see H. Dv. 242, paragraph 23).

To shoot the weapon is placed close to the magazine holder on a not too broad sandbag. With the right hand, the shooter take the grip of the M.P., pulls the gun with the stock firmly into the right shoulder and presses with his left hand the arms of the stock slightly down to avoid occurring tolerance in the joint of the stock.

6. Zeroing in distance: 100 meter
Sight: 100
Zeroing in target: Picture 1 (Annex page 225)
Number of shots: 5 pistol cartridges 08 in 5 magazines with each one cartridge

For each shot, a magazine loaded with one cartridge is placed in the magazine holder of the M.P. The target get checked out after the 5 shots, without looking between.

7. The M.P. has passed if 3 out of 5 hits are in the circle of 24 cm diameter and all 5 are within a circle of 24 cm diameter. Touching the circle is considered fulfilled.

8. If as a result of the zeroing in shooting, weapon errors are found which must be remedied in an Heeresfeldzeugwerkstatt (army field workshop), the weapon get sent there.

9. The result is entered by the supervisor on the target with ink pen in a special, with running number provided hit-image (minimize target, scale 1:10), picture 2 and certified with his name. After zeroing in shooting, the day, name of the zeroing in shooter and weapon number are noted on the hit-image.

The inclusion of the zeroing in conditions in the H. Dv. 242 is planned.

O.K.H. (Ch H Rüst u. BdE), May 24, 1940
---- 72 b (38) ---- AHA / In 2 (III b).​

Attachments

• Zeroing in the M.P. 38 a1.jpg
    Zeroing in the M.P. 38 a1.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Zeroing in the M.P. 38 a2.jpg
    Zeroing in the M.P. 38 a2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Zeroing in the M.P. 38 b.jpg
    Zeroing in the M.P. 38 b.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Zeroing in the M.P. 38 c.jpg
    Zeroing in the M.P. 38 c.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 23
  • Zeroing in the M.P. 38 d.jpg
    Zeroing in the M.P. 38 d.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 24
Thankyou Stephan this is very good intresting information.especially for those of us that collect manuals like this but can't speak/read German :thumbsup:

Exceptional source document info. Thank you Stephan :happy0180: Reference stickied.

Hambone and deadeye18, you are very welcome. :happy0180:

Thank you for the stickied reference! I have more documents about other weapons, in particular Beutewaffen and in the next time I will show more.

Cool and interesting, thanks! 3 of 5 shots in a 24cm bull @ 100m seems impractical but whatever. I you got hit with an MP38 @ 100m it seems like bad luck. "The sight group must not be shining and must be protected against direct sunlight." Competition shooters blacken the sights with carbide, wonder if they did that.

I'm surprised that they fired them from the shoulder, and didn't have a test fixture of some kind. I guess field level work was more improvised or something.

Military Rifle Journal
Back