Third Party Press

My depot build restored!

jbmauser

Senior Member Eh
Well it took a ton of time and money to get it back to its original form again but it was a lot of fun and well worth the effort. I'd like to thank CanadianAR, Loewe, Hambone, and everyone else that helped me by providing info or parts. Big thanks to mrfarb for all the time he spent and the awesome and rare stock he was generous enough to sell me!!!:hail:

When I got it the rear sight sleeve had been removed and a dovetail cut in the barrel (thank goodness the replacement sight sleeve covers that up) and it was in a sporterized stock of unknown origin. I did the sight sleeve installation myself and I'm quite proud of the job I did. I managed to do it without any damage to the bluing or solder mess, etc.

Here's a list of the parts I tracked down: e/26 sight sleeve, unnumbered e/26 sight bed, e/26 rear sight spring, unnumbered e/26 rear sight, unnumbered "i" and e/1 marked rear sight slide catch, WaA 1 "l" marked unnumbered buttplate, "C" e/18 unnumbered handguard, e/63 unnumbered band spring, 00 numbered e/37 bayo lug, early Sauer armorers spare upper and Astrawerke spare lower bands. CanadianAR found a 00 numbered follower that I installed to replace the unmarked one in it when I got it (keeping the unmarked one with the gun of course). The stock is a real armorers spare WaA18 "C" marked, unnumbered unit and really made the restoration.

Finally was able to add real armorers spare bands to complete this restoration. Early Sauer upper and an early Astrawerke lower round out the restoration.

Built around 41/42 at the Posen depot out of spare parts, recycled parts, and an early VZ 24 receiver. Barrel/receiver, bolt, extractor, safety, firing pin, tg, fp, all numbered to match. The bolt sleeve and cocking piece don't match but match themselves. Post war replacement probably but I left them on since they were with the gun when I bought it. The e/140 MI bolt is not fire proofed. Barrel is a Geco spare made in 1938.

sxzfIi.jpgWxx9DM.jpgWzq7XG.jpg29O9fC.jpgxSO5mQ.jpgl5R5uJ.jpgoBtxoW.jpgmShfTU.jpgaM9ybV.jpguKwUtx.jpgzevOp1.jpgSWFrYx.jpglLblDO.jpglE1ZgD.jpgWVnbGT.jpgAUhagF.jpgsdEJaW.jpgmf6Kw9.jpgS24PxZ.jpg8QJSn3.jpg

Last edited:
Xxi

So, I had a VZ 24 re-build with the same XXI marking, that denotes 21st military district I thought? Guess I shouldn't have sold it? It was #s matching though I had it in a replacement early flat butt laminated stock the same as yours. Hope I didn't screw myself! :facepalm:

So, I had a VZ 24 re-build with the same XXI marking, that denotes 21st military district I thought? Guess I shouldn't have sold it? It was #s matching though I had it in a replacement early flat butt laminated stock the same as yours. Hope I didn't screw myself! :facepalm:

I probably would have held on to that one.

This isn't the same one by any chance? Resold to me after they took the stock off that you had on it?

Nice

I really love how crisp and clean it looks. The time and money was worth it. Great rifle and very interesting. :thumbsup:

Nice rifle Jeremy! I like it.

I would have held onto a depot build, extremely rare in canada.

Very nice rifle

Very nice looking rifle jbmauser and excellent job putting it back together. I've got two in the process of trying to restore them, its a long process tracking down all those parts, but its a labor of love to me rescuing sporterized rifles and trying to put them back to as close to original as possible. I know they'll never be worth what originals are but its a lot of fun to me. I'd like to know the process you used to replace the rear sight sleeve? I have to do it on one of mine and have been putting it off because I don't want to screw it up. Anyway very nice job. Gunnut.

Nope

I probably would have held on to that one.

This isn't the same one by any chance? Resold to me after they took the stock off that you had on it?

That isn't it, mine didn't have a Geco barrel, I can't remember for sure what one it had, but I know where it is still.

Thats a really neat gun and you're definitely a lucky man to have that stock!! Would a flat buttplate be correct for this depot build?

Thats a really neat gun and you're definitely a lucky man to have that stock!! Would a flat buttplate be correct for this depot build?
Thanks!

I guess since these were made from spare parts, recycled Imperial parts, etc, anything from the time of the build and earlier could be "correct". A flat buttplate armorers spare is most likely what was used in the original build though.

Military Rifle Journal
Back