Third Party Press

reworked S/147 1937 - a discussion

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Thought I'd post a rifle for discussion, a rifle I've posted before probably, but with a question - how much does a rework affect the value to you personally? Obviously originality matters, meaning what parts are legit/period replacements. Does the lack of a depot mark affect value? Condition? Most reworks are reworked for a reason, most of not all I have seen are well worn guns refurbished or rebarreled, many probably recovered after battle or heavy use (why rework a nice rifle?).

My father taught me condition is everything, and condition is only trumped by rarity, but even then condition matters. Reworks aren't rare at all, but less common than bolt mismatch rifles and/or matching rifles. But, I like reworks - the condition is usually battle worn and salty, with that history of combat lurking in the wear and tear, not post war hunting and neglect. Maybe I'm a dreamer.

This one has the barrel and hand guard replaced, but no visible depot stamp- the missing depot stamp makes one less desirable as that is usually the best way to authenticate them, but in this case its clearly original. Sideways firing proof, hand stamped barrel number. This one came just like this, sling and depot replacement cleaning rod. My own opinion is many of the unattributed reworks were done in the Posen depot system, as some that I see have traits (there's a 660 1940 in the Vol.II like that).

So what is the general consensus among collectors about reworks - good? Should every collection have one?

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 67
  • wrist.jpg
    wrist.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 63
  • keel.jpg
    keel.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 57
  • bbl.jpg
    bbl.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 65
  • bblcode.jpg
    bblcode.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 57
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 61
  • fband.jpg
    fband.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 53
  • hguard.jpg
    hguard.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 51
  • tguard.jpg
    tguard.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 51
  • rsight.jpg
    rsight.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 45
  • rod.jpg
    rod.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 46
  • serial.jpg
    serial.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 61
  • code.jpg
    code.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 65
For me it's all about code. A common code rework doesn't pull my train into the station. That said it has always seemed to me that without depot stamps most collectors look down their nose at reworks. I personally think many rifles got refitted in the field by waffenmeisters and think this is a prime example. I have built many k98's years ago when I could do it physically. I always ran into barreled receivers oddly enough, completed them and found in most cases they shot very straight requiring no fitting. Those requiring more attention to detail back in the war would go to a depot I'll guess while ones like this Sauer were done field level. Should every collection have one? Only if it's a bSw… lol

I think there is an evolution in collecting rifles. Early on, the textbook examples are most appealing, but with time, there is a certain boredom w/ textbook, and growing interest in the odd ball stuff.

Two good points, I think Bob nailed it. As your collection ages, you see the value in repaired rifles and "different", mostly because you get comfortable with what is legit and feel like you can make a good call on a rework.

As to field Waffenmeisters replacing barrels, no - that was forbidden by regulation. Field repair shops did not have the proper oversight, proof testing rounds and equipment, nor the devices for re calibrating sights. You must have missed the memo.

I am with you Farb, I like them. To me it shows a rifle that has seen use, and in a lot of ways more interesting than any ol' regular all matching gun.

I like the depot stamped ones, at least then you can see more of the story.

As another plus, a lot of times these are priced below an all matching gun, so they can be had reasonably.

As far as desirability to myself, there is no diminished desirability for these, although bolt mismatches don't bother me either.

Conversely, you will typically aren't going to get that top dollar if you sell, but that doesn't matter to me either since I don't sell (well, very rarely anyway)

I would love a rework for my collection. I too find them more interesting than a lot of the more common codes. The issue I run into, is the average seller has no idea what a rework is and they see that all of the numbers match and boom, it is priced as an all original matching rifle. I have yet to come across a deal on a matching depot rework. Hopefully soon!

I would love a rework for my collection. I too find them more interesting than a lot of the more common codes. The issue I run into, is the average seller has no idea what a rework is and they see that all of the numbers match and boom, it is priced as an all original matching rifle. I have yet to come across a deal on a matching depot rework. Hopefully soon!

Well, in reality, if it is a legit depot re-work (and is all matching), it kind of should command the same price as a plain old all matching gun in like condition....

Look at VZ's...German modified VZ's tend to go for more than unmodified VZ's...

In the grand scheme of things a nice depot re-work probably should go for more than a plain jane matching gun, IMHO....

Good Sunday discussion, we need more like this. I'm still working on a trade toward getting a 37' bSw rework rifle that has depot markings.

So what is the general consensus among collectors about reworks - good? Should every collection have one?

I like them. So far as the rifle is in original WW2 issued condition it is okay with me. I think there is less demand for a rework because many collectors are looking for textbook examples and it takes more expertise to authenticate a rework. Less demand means fewer bidders and typically lower prices. Fine with me. They are interesting and it is always fun trying to imagine what led to the rifle being rebuilt. Finding a depot marking is always a bonus but I don't mind examples without. Here are photos of another S/147 1937 rebuild which was recently sold at auction. No depot marking but the way in which it was renumbered is much more likely to be depot than postwar humper. It had its bolt and stock replaced. Comments welcome. I am sure some will consider it more controversial than Mike's example.

Attachments

• Sauerrebuild1.jpg
    Sauerrebuild1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Sauerrebuild2.jpg
    Sauerrebuild2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Sauerrebuild3.jpg
    Sauerrebuild3.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Sauerrebuild4.jpg
    Sauerrebuild4.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Sauerrebuild5.jpg
    Sauerrebuild5.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Sauerrebuild6.jpg
    Sauerrebuild6.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Sauerrebuild7.jpg
    Sauerrebuild7.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Sauerrebuild8.jpg
    Sauerrebuild8.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Sauerrebuild9.jpg
    Sauerrebuild9.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Sauerrebuild10.jpg
    Sauerrebuild10.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 28
A few more.

Attachments

• Sauerrebuild11.jpg
    Sauerrebuild11.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Sauerrebuild12.jpg
    Sauerrebuild12.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Sauerrebuild13.jpg
    Sauerrebuild13.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Sauerrebuild14.jpg
    Sauerrebuild14.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Sauerrebuild15.jpg
    Sauerrebuild15.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Sauerrebuild16.jpg
    Sauerrebuild16.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Sauerrebuild17.jpg
    Sauerrebuild17.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Sauerrebuild18.jpg
    Sauerrebuild18.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Sauerrebuild19.jpg
    Sauerrebuild19.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Sauerrebuild20.jpg
    Sauerrebuild20.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 19
A few more.

I like it. This is what I would consider a "field rework", potentially by the Feldwerkstatte. With this rifle, only the bolt is replaced - normally you would think a bolt replacement requires reproofing, but it doesn't because the bolt body has already undergone proof testing even if it was with another action. This rifle is reworked with a reclaimed bolt, perfectly allowable from what I have seen in larger depot work with no reproofing.

Armorers chest had replacement bolts in them, bolts that were blued and pressure test proofed. Armorers were supplied replacement stocks too, and numbering dies. Not all replaced stocks I have seen were numbered either, which makes it impossible to authenticate. IMO this work was done by an old school Waffenmeister.

Well, in reality, if it is a legit depot re-work (and is all matching), it kind of should command the same price as a plain old all matching gun in like condition....

Look at VZ's...German modified VZ's tend to go for more than unmodified VZ's...

In the grand scheme of things a nice depot re-work probably should go for more than a plain jane matching gun, IMHO....

I entirely agree with you! Your pricing goes against traditional collecting norms however. Factory guns are where the premiums lie.

Thought I'd post a rifle for discussion, a rifle I've posted before probably, but with a question - how much does a rework affect the value to you personally? Obviously originality matters, meaning what parts are legit/period replacements. Does the lack of a depot mark affect value? Condition? Most reworks are reworked for a reason, most of not all I have seen are well worn guns refurbished or rebarreled, many probably recovered after battle or heavy use (why rework a nice rifle?).

My father taught me condition is everything, and condition is only trumped by rarity, but even then condition matters. Reworks aren't rare at all, but less common than bolt mismatch rifles and/or matching rifles. But, I like reworks - the condition is usually battle worn and salty, with that history of combat lurking in the wear and tear, not post war hunting and neglect. Maybe I'm a dreamer.

This one has the barrel and hand guard replaced, but no visible depot stamp- the missing depot stamp makes one less desirable as that is usually the best way to authenticate them, but in this case its clearly original. Sideways firing proof, hand stamped barrel number. This one came just like this, sling and depot replacement cleaning rod. My own opinion is many of the unattributed reworks were done in the Posen depot system, as some that I see have traits (there's a 660 1940 in the Vol.II like that).

As we all know reworking knocks value down quite a bit compared to an otherwise matching non rework, but I think they are undervalued for their history. Personally I'd buy a combat gun over a minty piece because i like them- and as you mentioned thats what most of these are. I got out of them simply because of the opportunity for fakery and post war "corrections" combined with the fact that the pool of people knowledgeable enough to know what they are looking at is pretty small. As a collecting niche I think they provide an endless opportunity for unique examples.

I have a decent collection of "ordinary" issue rifles, and for me the reworks have an appeal that that may be difficult to understand, but these rifles are each unique in their history.

They represent the reality of the battlefield, where equipment gets beat up, damaged or worn out.

The salvaged / reworked / rebuilt guns tell of desperate times, desperate measures to get vital and necessary weapons [repaired / refurbished ] into the hands of troops as quickly as possible .

I like reworks. Never got one. I’d like to still. I think the marked ones carry a premium, but as much as a matched textbook gun? Maybe not. To me, the depot marking tells a tale no other rifle can tell,
Which direction the gun first went. Not exactly GPS but you now know two places on the map it’s been over one. They definitely tell a story.

The problem is learning to tell real from "4th Reich Bubba Jobs".

Especially true for guns that have no apparent depot stamps.

The good news is that Bubba almost always overdoes his enhancement techniques, and the result really stands out as non period work.

I have a decent collection of "ordinary" issue rifles, and for me the reworks have an appeal that that may be difficult to understand, but these rifles are each unique in their history.

They represent the reality of the battlefield, where equipment gets beat up, damaged or worn out.

The salvaged / reworked / rebuilt guns tell of desperate times, desperate measures to get vital and necessary weapons [repaired / refurbished ] into the hands of troops as quickly as possible .

Agreed, right on the money. You KNOW these reworks saw combat and needed repair. Of all the possible conditions a rifle could come down to us in today, the reworks are the ones we can be the most sure of having been in heavy combat. I not only think they are fine for collecting, I think that in a way they carry a “badge of honor” (or whatever you might call it) that other rifles do not.

For analyzing originality and manufacturing they are less desirable, but it would be silly to collect and research combat equipment and THEN de-value equipment THAT SAW COMBAT! I would thus say that every serious collector ought to try to have one in their collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is learning to tell real from "4th Reich Bubba Jobs".

Especially true for guns that have no apparent depot stamps.

The good news is that Bubba almost always overdoes his enhancement techniques, and the result really stands out as non period work.

It would be cool to have one but I would get multiple opinions from guys who know what they're doing before paying for it. Just IMO from a relative newb.

Military Rifle Journal
Back