Third Party Press

G33/40's identification

PMKS

Correct me if I'm wrong, at least three of rifles in the following picture are/were G33/40's?

G3340.jpg

Found in Karelia ( Northern Russia / Finland ) in an area where the 6th SS Mountain Division Nord saw heavy action, from a War Relics Site.

They seem to find a fair amount of G33/40's ( or whats left of them ) in this area, so I'm assuming the 6th SS Mountain Division was equipped with them, in addition to other 98K types.

They find a lot of interesting items, a lot of them on the surface, check out these pistols and gernades that they found:
I know these are non-98k related pictures, but interesting.

2_3%20209.jpg
Luger1.jpg
56.jpg

Last edited:
Don't have your answer but finding that crate of grenades would bring on pucker factor 10 for me!

I think I see the lightening cuts on the right side of the receiver, so they appear to be 33/40s. Very cool!

I think it more likely these belonged to one of the Army's Gebirgs divisions that fought in Finland. When 33/40 production was in full swing, even the best of the SS regiments were using substandard equipment.

I think it more likely these belonged to one of the Army's Gebirgs divisions that fought in Finland. When 33/40 production was in full swing, even the best of the SS regiments were using substandard equipment.

I was going off the front sight profile as well on id'ing the G33/40's.

You're right, the XXXVI Mountain Corps (Wehrmacht) fought in that area as well. But the amount of SS marked helmets and equipment they find is staggering.

more pictures:

MG-42%20barrel%20and%20russian%20granads%202.JPG
SSTVDWM.jpg
2.jpg
04.jpg

Russian remains that are found are re-interred with services in a Russian Cemetery.
The German remains found are mainly Norwegian volunteers, Norway won't accept the remains so they are stored in Russia......

German remains as found:
ee6aa330e2d0.jpg

Attachments

• Habor.jpg
    Habor.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 71
  • EM%20138.jpg
    EM%20138.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 61
I think I see the lightening cuts on the right side of the receiver, so they appear to be 33/40s. Very cool!

agreed. Plus the bands look correct.

here's a naked 33/40 pic for comparison

Attachments

• 106-0623_IMG.JPG
    106-0623_IMG.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 112-1207_IMG.JPG
    112-1207_IMG.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 44
Firing pin marks on the primers on those shell casings look like they were done by a ZB26 or ZB30. Cool!

I don't know how common the usage was, but the 6.SS also used the 33/40. I have photos of them being carried in a variety of books.
Sarge

Military Rifle Journal
Back