Third Party Press

44 Stock question.

69DartGT

The stock on a bnz 43 that I bought recently has what looks like a date stamped into the barrel channel. There is also a faint EB or EH stamped next to it. What does this mean? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Scott.

IMG_1207.jpgIMG_1206.jpg

Scott, like already mentioned, it's the stock completion date code (April 20, 1944) and "BH" is the laminate supplier. I think originally the stock belonged to a bcd4 coded Sauer & Sohn rifle, around the "w" or "x" block.

Thanks for your reply. Could you also educate me on what the blocks are. I always see them being referenced, but can't find any info on them.
Thanks again,
Scott

Last edited:
You are very welcome!

I will explain it in simplified form. They start making a new rifle in 1940 and start with serial number 1 (no suffix letter). When they reach serial number 9999 they start over with serial number 1a (with the letter "a" after the serial). This way they continue like here:

1-9999
1a-9999a
1b-9999b
1c-9999c
etc.

Here is a Sauer & Sohn "147 1940" serial number 9046h: Link
Because of the suffix letter "h" we call it "h" block.

Thanks for the info, I thought that's what it was, but wasn't sure. I sure wish I would have started collecting these rifles 20 years ago.

Military Rifle Journal
Back