Third Party Press

The S84/98 T3 Frog Ersatz Variants

pwcosol

Throughout the Second World War the most utilized material to manufacture the bayonet frog was leather. Increased demand for frogs resulted in patterns made of webbing for tropical or desert conditions. However, paramilitary organizations had a need for bayonet frogs as well, but the Heer, Luftwaffe, and Kriegsmarine were always first in line for the limited supplies. This gave rise to experimentation with ersatz materials to supply those "second-tier" organizations. Since most of them were not involved in a direct combat role or support for same, frogs made of materials that might not endure in a combat environment would suffice for their needs. Because these frogs were typically made by one single manufacturer, only for a short time and in limited numbers, all should be considered scarce to rare.

From Left to Right:
4. White laminated paper body w/leather pouch Marked on obverse: BRUNO LENNERT 1938 BRETNIG. Typically used for military Honor Guard or Parade functions. This pattern also exists for the S98/05, and with a composite (-vs-leather) pouch.

5. Police Brown treated composite fabric body with leather pouch. Marked on obverse: A. FISCHER BERLIN C.2 1938.
Frog is unissued in a permanently petrified condition.

6. Unattributed variant with black pebble-grain (faux?) leather outer skin over laminated paper. Pouch is of black dyed leather. Note use of 4-rivets.

3. Unattributed similar to #6 but pouch is also constructed of laminated paper. Very rare.

1. Frog with body & pouch constructed of rubber impregnated with cloth fiber. Often referred to as a"Radiator belt frog" because of the similarity of the material to that utilized for "V-Belts". However, the rubber is much softer and more pliant than that used for belts. Marked on the obverse: (impressed into the material) C. REISE BERLIN S016 1941

2. Unattributed example made of a plastic material with white cotton stitch. Extremely rare. I am lead to believe this might have been a late-war proposition as opposed to several of the others which were produced in the 1938-41 time frame. Also petrified in it's present condition.

Attachments

• HGAC307v.JPG
    HGAC307v.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 44
  • LAMAC309.JPG
    LAMAC309.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 51
  • LAMNACv.JPG
    LAMNACv.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 48
  • LAMPNACv.JPG
    LAMPNACv.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 44
  • F&RCREISE.JPG
    F&RCREISE.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 54
  • PlasticComp.JPG
    PlasticComp.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
This rare belt frog is one of my favourite S84/98 ersatz types for the S84/98, made from pieces of broken on scrap leather - length 225 mm.
Each one I have viewed is different and only one (so far) has had the strap loop removed.

Attachments

• ERSATZK98.JPG
    ERSATZK98.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 33
This rare belt frog is one of my favourite S84/98 ersatz types for the S84/98, made from pieces of broken on scrap leather - length 225 mm. Each one I have viewed is different and only one (so far) has had the strap loop removed.

MR:
Thanks for posting this frog. These are another curiosity. All seem to be constructed of reused/scrap leather. What I find unusual are the dimensions of this frog. The frog body is longer than standard issue patterns. Though it resembles the M42 "shorty" frog intended for use with the folding shovel, I think it a different bird altogether. I often wondered if this was intended for something other than a S84/98 T3. I had one but about an inch of the upper belt loop (where it bends over) was torn or eaten away, so let another guy have it to fill in a hole in his collection.

Military Rifle Journal
Back