Third Party Press

Depot Rifle w/ byf 41 & WaA359 Stock

Bob in OHIO

Interesting Rifle, and curious your thoughts.

First, parts orig to the byf41

Attachments

• byfdepot.31.jpg
    byfdepot.31.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 397
  • byfdepot.29.jpg
    byfdepot.29.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 377
  • byfdepot.23.jpg
    byfdepot.23.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 300
  • byfdepot.12.jpg
    byfdepot.12.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 265
  • byfdepot.22.jpg
    byfdepot.22.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 251
  • byfdepot.26.jpg
    byfdepot.26.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 283
  • byfdepot.17.jpg
    byfdepot.17.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 273
  • byfdepot.16.jpg
    byfdepot.16.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 242
Next, the stock w/ WaA 359 (someone X it out), and is
numbered inside and out.​

Of note:
Handguard is E/214 and walnut and numbered inside.
Buttplate was used before (E/623), and cancelled and renumbered.
Stock has a small E/280 in the RS wood​

Attachments

• byfdepot.13.jpg
    byfdepot.13.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 245
  • byfdepot.42.jpg
    byfdepot.42.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 175
  • byfdepot.07.jpg
    byfdepot.07.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 212
  • byfdepot.08.jpg
    byfdepot.08.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 162
  • byfdepot.41.jpg
    byfdepot.41.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 155
  • byfdepot.01.jpg
    byfdepot.01.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 217
  • byfdepot.05.jpg
    byfdepot.05.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 168
  • byfdepot.03.jpg
    byfdepot.03.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 198
  • byfdepot.37.jpg
    byfdepot.37.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 219
Barrel: Geco w/ 0,2 and 7,9 on the shank
SN font is different on the barrel v. rec'r.​

Attachments

• byfdepot.45.jpg
    byfdepot.45.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 144
  • byfdepot.39.jpg
    byfdepot.39.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 136
  • byfdepot.30.jpg
    byfdepot.30.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 172
  • byfdepot.29.jpg
    byfdepot.29.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 158
Wondering about the '9' or '6' used...

1. See bottom of receiver
2. On the trigger guard peaking out under the bolt in the pic
3. Used to cancel the old sn on buttplate?​

Attachments

• byfdepot.992.jpg
    byfdepot.992.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 137
  • byfdepot.991.jpg
    byfdepot.991.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 128
  • byfdepot.993.jpg
    byfdepot.993.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 132
Great Find Bob!

I luv these Depot or Werkzug guns. They break alot paradigms and often throw alot folks off their scent resulting in them often being bargains for a truly righteous 98K.

You do find some sweet stuff!!

Bob,

The picture byfdepot_01 - what is this marking? Doesn't really look e/280 to me? Where is it located?

I agree with M22, these are the coolest of the rifle variations and can be gotten for a fraction of their value!

Next, the stock w/ WaA 359 (someone X it out), and is

numbered inside and out.​

Of note:
Handguard is E/214 and walnut and numbered inside.
Buttplate was used before (E/623), and cancelled and renumbered.

Stock has a small E/280 in the RS wood​

I have seen them use other than "x" before, in both eras, and this was probably just the same used for the "9" in the serial on the buttplate- better than using a "2" or "3"?

One of the things that make these interesting is the individuality of the armorer, circumstances, period involved. They were not in the formal setting of a factory, following the strictest practices (needed for mass production), and you see little variations to each rifle.

Usually you can tell this was just expedience, with less concern for neatness or formality, - get it in and out quickly and efficiently. Something that humpers haven't grasped yet- they didn't do a lot of extra markings, or especially neat work that would have taken time.

Wondering about the '9' or '6' used...

1. See bottom of receiver
2. On the trigger guard peaking out under the bolt in the pic

3. Used to cancel the old sn on buttplate?​

BiO, looks to me like a "classic" depot rework/repair, rebarreled, refinished (period to the rework) with a cannibalized stock from another weapon, and mostly the original parts placed back on the rifle. I agree completely with the above comments. Neat piece BiO.

Bob,

The picture byfdepot_01 - what is this marking? Doesn't really look e/280 to me? Where is it located?

I agree with M22, these are the coolest of the rifle variations and can be gotten for a fraction of their value!

Thx gents...

SS- The E/280?? ... it's on the right side below the TDD , small and where I have seen Su marked before on Wayne's marked trainer.... just can't really make it out very well. Will look again.

This was a train wreck when I bought it. Someone had taken it ALL apart and they had trouble getting the recoil lug + bayo lug back together. For how it was and where it was and the condition it is, plus the turds in the barrel... it wasn't the blue light special you'd think. The unsanded wood, the proof in the RS, matched bolt helped make the wallet snap open.

The spring for the rear sight is early .... like E/132 and the recoil lug has a box proof. A real mix of parts... the used (Steyr) buttplate was slapped on a new armors stock IMO. Odd how the Geco blue took a hit while the receiver stayed decent through two barrels.

Any signficance to both the 0,2 + 7,9 on the barrel?

Attachments

• byfdepot.04.jpg
    byfdepot.04.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 86
  • byfdepot.11.jpg
    byfdepot.11.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 92
  • byfdepot.10.jpg
    byfdepot.10.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 86
Looks like 8n4 to me, but obviously it would be something else as that doesn't work either. I suspect this is the depot mark if you can decipher it.

I think e/132 was an early waffenamt for ERMA, as I recall? Not sure the range but early.

One means it is an ordnance spare, as 0,2 is only seen on depot jobs, and the caliber is typical of almost all barrels, certainly ordnance spares. I think they drop this later in the war though?

Thx gents...

SS- The E/280?? ... it's on the right side below the TDD , small and where I have seen Su marked before on Wayne's marked trainer.... just can't really make it out very well. Will look again.

This was a train wreck when I bought it. Someone had taken it ALL apart and they had trouble getting the recoil lug + bayo lug back together. For how it was and where it was and the condition it is, plus the turds in the barrel... it wasn't the blue light special you'd think. The unsanded wood, the proof in the RS, matched bolt helped make the wallet snap open.

The spring for the rear sight is early .... like E/132 and the recoil lug has a box proof. A real mix of parts... the used (Steyr) buttplate was slapped on a new armors stock IMO. Odd how the Geco blue took a hit while the receiver stayed decent through two barrels.

Any signficance to both the 0,2 + 7,9 on the barrel?

Couple more pics.... 8n2 or Sn2 ...
almost appears like there's something before the 8 or S too...

Thx all for the assist...​

Attachments

• byfdepot.47.jpg
    byfdepot.47.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 74
  • byfdepot.48.jpg
    byfdepot.48.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 83
A cool period rework, my kind of gun. Interesting the Wa359 was X'd out- first I have seen that. As to overstamp, I have seen "--" "X", and "0", but don't recall "9". It's not odd though to me to see this.

Couple more pics.... 8n2 or Sn2 ...​

almost appears like there's something before the 8 or S too...​

Thx all for the assist...​

It appears to be a very clear 'Psn 2' for the depot at Posen. You guys need glasses. :biggrin1:

Awesome rifle, BTW!

Very well could be!

I have no recorded rifles with this mark, "Psn2" and only one report of a Posen rework- a stock only.
That is in a KCN report Sept94 written by MarkW, about a 1918 Spandau "H" receiver (depot build in WWI) with a mismatched stock that has the following markings.

It has two markings MarkW attributed to HZa Posen, - Pon1 (along the bottom of buttstock) and Pon2 (right side stock- and how he draws it the same type eagle).

It can easily be that MarkW mistook the Psn for Pon.

I will say though, that Ken Huddle also uses "Pon" for Posen in his HZa list, and I do not have a "German" list that outlines this particular HZa abbreviation, but I have noted before that there are, it seems, variations to how the depots identified themselves. Possibly a result of periods or time frames. (perhaps Pon is earlier-Psn later?)

Hard to say but I am certain that this is a depot stamp.

Well this is pretty cool beans....

sure looks like what Ryan said.... Psn 2
:hail:

Perhaps another snippet of info to our ever growing
body of knowledge...​

Nice rifle Bob. Are the bands original or replaced?

Thx DK, bands are reclaimed.
Front appears scrubbed, reblued, renumbed.
Rear is over stamped. Both at 'l' proofed.​

Attachments

• byfdepot.52.jpg
    byfdepot.52.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 247
  • byfdepot.53.jpg
    byfdepot.53.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 78

Military Rifle Journal
Back