Third Party Press

Seeking info on newly acquired 1941 K98k

LMVT

Hello all, I'm first time poster and a new owner of a 1941 bcd marked K98k. I purchased this Mauser from a friend of mine who recently acquired his late uncles collection of firearms. I've always wanted to add one of these to my collection, but I'm a newbie with limited knowledge of these rifles. There seems to be so much info out there it's making my head spin, so any info and approximate value on this particular rifle would be greatly appreciated.

Everything appears to be matching, except for the bolt and magazine floor plate. There is an extremely faint import marking on the underside of the barrel which I believe reads "Intrac Knox, TN 8mm Germany". It also appears that long ago someone tried to hastily remove the Nazi proof marks. The rifle has consistent, well worn patina with much of the bluing gone, but other than that it seems to be in excellent mechanical shape - It's just seen lots of use over the years.

I paid $600 for the rifle, which I think was a good price, considering it doesn't appear to be a Russian capture or a Mitchell's Mauser. Unfortunately It does not have the cleaning rod or a front sight hood, but I'm not sure if this particular K98k would have had a hood to begin with.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1314.jpg
IMG_1294.jpg
IMG_1290.jpg
IMG_1291.jpg
IMG_1292.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1313.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
As you post more you will be able to attach more pics and view other areas of the forum left unseen by new members. Yours is a typical Romanian post war used rifle. They as a default obliterated any Nazi proof markings that held a swastika. Mostly original matching parts on the Romy used rifles, not uncommon at all to have a few mismatched parts. Anything post 1968 imported will have an import mark, common as well. Otherwise, welcome, nice rifle. They all have a history. Value wise ?? I'd say $600+ easily. Ohh, it would have had a sight hood on a 41' rifle. Grooves on the front sight post tell the tale.

Last edited:
If you need a sight hood, I have a bunch of originals with heavily worn finish like this rifle has. Will match up real nice.

You didn't do bad at $600, especially with the amount of numbers matching. Looks good for a nice shooter.

Welcome and congratulations on your first K98! It looks to me like you got a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies everyone.

If you need a sight hood, I have a bunch of originals with heavily worn finish like this rifle has. Will match up real nice.

I greatly appreciate the info - I looked up info on Romanian captured Mausers and this rifle seems to fit the bill perfectly. It sounds like it has some interesting history behind it and should make a good shooter, as the bore appears to be in good shape still.

Thank you for offering the sight hood - I might take you up on that offer. Can you PM me with a price? Thank you!

I was given a bandoleer of 8mm 1951 Turkish surplus ammo. Would you recommend shooting this old ammo through my Mauser? I heard that it's way over pressured....definitely don't want my rifle to blow up in my hands.

It won't effect the rifle in that way, Mauser's can take it. The Turk being loaded hot does make accuracy tougher. And it's dirty as hell I found. 20 rounds and it's in need of a good soak. It will shoot fine. Romanian 1970's is good stuff if you find it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back