Third Party Press

A WELL TRAVELED 98k RIFLE

Found this well used 98k rifle at my local gunshop for $250. What first caught my eye was the double stamped 1917 and 1920 dates. Then noticed the receiver, barrel, bolt, butt plate, bolt release and trigger group were all numbered the same 6438. The stock appears to be a later WW2 type. The barrel's bore, though # the same, is too nice to be original. Looks like this rifle started life as a WW1 German AZ98,1917 Erfurt made kar98 ,as marked on the left side rail. Then was stamped after the war with the 1920 Weimar permission stamp, likely seeing police use . The newer 98k rear sight is marked with a 30s waffenamt. And the trigger group remarked and numberd with an even later waffenamt. The receiver shows a Russian capture mark. The newer barrel is numbered to the recever, but is marked with the East German 1001 mark. The bolt is tear drop shaped at the ball, and all of it's parts show early WW1 marks. The receiver and barrel are stamped with the Iraqi Republican Guard marking, what appears to be the upside down #2 in a triangle. Found some info on the net, that these rifles might have come into the States with some Turkish Mausers imported by FED ORD INC. S.E.M. CA. in the early 90s. Though it is properly import marked in regards to caliber, K-98/8 X 57, it is not marked with country of origin. When I took this rifle down to clean it, found the stock's barrel channel to be also marked with the serial number. Every where inside the rifle was packed with a very fine dust, guessing from the last country of ownership. Any input on this rifle would be great. Some pictures for you veiwing.
087-2.jpg

095-2.jpg

072-3.jpg

080-2.jpg

103-1.jpg

111.jpg

096-1.jpg

015-3.jpg

068-2.jpg

065-3.jpg

I saw this rifle on Gunboards today, interesting certainly but not much left from the 1917 manufacture or the 1920 era property marking!

About all you have left of that period is the receiver and even it has been altered with the handguard ring ground down. Still, all n all, it is as you say- very well traveled!

I have a similar 98m, an vet from all the wars and hard to classify!

Military Rifle Journal
Back