Third Party Press

byf43 'f' block

RyanE

Baby Face
Staff member
I haven't posted any K98k in a while, so here is a very boring byf43 I picked up from Bruce ages ago. Some sloppy wood work in the sling and bolt cutouts but otherwise your typical f block.

Attachments

• Rifle Right.jpg
    Rifle Right.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 612
  • Rifle Left.jpg
    Rifle Left.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 451
  • tn_Receiver.jpg
    tn_Receiver.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 509
  • tn_Receiver Left.jpg
    tn_Receiver Left.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 574
  • tn_Receiver Right.jpg
    tn_Receiver Right.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 454
  • tn_Bolt.jpg
    tn_Bolt.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 503
  • tn_Bolt Extractor.jpg
    tn_Bolt Extractor.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 424
  • tn_Bolt Cocking Piece.jpg
    tn_Bolt Cocking Piece.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 392
  • tn_Bolt Firing Pin.jpg
    tn_Bolt Firing Pin.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 336
  • tn_Follower.jpg
    tn_Follower.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 358
  • tn_Front Band.jpg
    tn_Front Band.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 403
  • tn_Rear Band.jpg
    tn_Rear Band.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 351
  • tn_Rear Sight Base.jpg
    tn_Rear Sight Base.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 345
  • tn_Rear Sight Ladder.jpg
    tn_Rear Sight Ladder.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 335
  • tn_Rear Sight Slider.jpg
    tn_Rear Sight Slider.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 334
  • tn_Stock Right.jpg
    tn_Stock Right.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 467
  • tn_Stock Left.jpg
    tn_Stock Left.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 379
  • tn_Handguard Serial.jpg
    tn_Handguard Serial.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 347
  • tn_Stock Serial.jpg
    tn_Stock Serial.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 373
  • tn_Triggerguard.jpg
    tn_Triggerguard.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 472
A few more.

Attachments

• tn_Trigger.jpg
    tn_Trigger.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 185
  • tn_Stock Wrist.jpg
    tn_Stock Wrist.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 208
  • tn_Stock Keel.jpg
    tn_Stock Keel.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 219
  • tn_Stock Bolt Cutout.jpg
    tn_Stock Bolt Cutout.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 282
  • tn_Barrel Code.jpg
    tn_Barrel Code.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 203
Boring? Lol, but really nice!! I love when hou guys post up rifles, tons we havent seen.

I think it's wonderful! I love the sling cutout. Makes it a bit unique.

I have a byf 43 f block that I'll post up eventually. Mine is a little earlier by serial and in walnut.

Ryan... Nice rifle. The bolt cut out appears typical and expected for MO. The slight arch inside the cut out is signature MO, if that is what you are referrring to as sloppy?

Here's another f-block for comparison. Also, note how the inside channel is not stained (though some German stain seeped in when applied to the stock's outside).

Attachments

• byf43f.03.JPG
    byf43f.03.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 140
  • byf43f.01.JPG
    byf43f.01.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 146
  • byf43f.22.JPG
    byf43f.22.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 161
  • byf43f.27.JPG
    byf43f.27.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 134
  • byfwood03.JPG
    byfwood03.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 168
Beautiful rifle. Outstanding photography which shows how to photo the things that need to been seen. Thanks.

Last edited:
Your picture taking ability rivals Bruce & Mikes, very nice, I like the white background...

I agree with your comments that Mauser Oberndorf production is rather boring, they are all the same essentially, but Therein lies their charm, and there is something to be said for consistency and steadfast quality. Only MO and Brno (dot) achieved this throughout the war, or most of it, and it almost reminds you of American production methods of the time, - highly efficient, consistent and reliable.

I am sure the German craftsman was ever present at Mauser, but with their production during the war it just looks so consistent and high quality compared to the others. Storz speaks of the craftsmen at MO and DWM in the FWW and the challenges dealing with modern production methods. I guess MO found solutions to maintaining the highest skills of the craftsman and the reality of mass production.

I haven't posted any K98k in a while, so here is a very boring byf43 I picked up from Bruce ages ago. Some sloppy wood work in the sling and bolt cutouts but otherwise your typical f block.

Thanks all for the kind comments. I don't mean boring as any kind of slur, but if you've seen one '43 MO you've kinda seem them all. :googlie

Bob, that is a nice piece of walnut! Yes, I mean that little 'hump' on one side of the bolt cutout. If this is normal I've never noticed it. The sloppiness on the sling cutout is toward the bottom where the tooling slipped and cut a little too far back.

Something else I like to see: raw wood under the handguard. It appears that many rifles were varnished/stained fully assembled. Most of my other stained rifles (including my BLM K43) show this.

Attachments

• tn_Stock Channel Stain.jpg
    tn_Stock Channel Stain.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 78
Bob.... Yes, I mean that little 'hump' on one side of the bolt cutout.

Yep, that is expected .... not sure when it started but universal on 43-45 on MO-made wood (not *C stocks since those are not MO made). Two byf 44 are shown.

Attachments

• byfdual.30.JPG
    byfdual.30.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 101
  • bcd43.byf44.46.JPG
    bcd43.byf44.46.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 102
Here are some more pics of MO bolt cut outs covering 41-45.
From left to right: byf 41 v block, byf 42 k block, byf 43 f block, byf 44 h block, byf 44 k block, byf 45 no letter block, svw45 b block.

img3609hy.jpg k1n.jpg m9fn.jpg 4b9h.jpg kdqq.jpg vlrk.jpg DSC_0339.jpg

I'm also going to add a byf 45 no letter block in a bit to the pics.

EDIT: I added the byf 45 no letter block cut out. You can see the progression of the MO bolt cutout from early war to late and through various stock materials. You can see and feel the "hump" on the one side of the bolt cutout in all of them but it's more obvious later on in production, at least in my limited examples.

Last edited:
Not sure what the hump is , can someone post a pic with an arrow pointing to it?

Here's the cut out on my svw45 with the "hump" circled. It doesn't show up that well in the pic but it is really pronounced and quite high. The location varies a bit but it's always on the right hand side of the cut out.

c8e21522-f360-48c7-abe8-69fd92947de1.jpg

Here's the cut out on my svw45 with the "hump" circled. It doesn't show up that well in the pic but it is really pronounced and quite high. The location varies a bit but it's always on the right hand side of the cut out.

View attachment 62757

Thanks! That is what I thought every one was talking about but wasn't sure. I will have to get my byf 42 out to look at it.

Very good pics. We may have to save this again as a bolt cut out thread ;) These are variances due to the cutters I would imagine.

Military Rifle Journal
Back