Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bnz 45

Default Bnz 45

Guys,

Here is one I posted some time ago.

This one is the only BNZ 45 known to have a serial number in the Stock's Barrel Channel & the only K98k I have seen so far to have the serial number in the sling keeper inlet. This one is one of two, currently known BNZ45's to have all four serial number digits stamped into the Rear Sight Leaf and Rear Sight Elevation Ramp.

Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by don w; 03-24-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: sp

one more pic I didnt upload

well that is an interesting rifle. Whats the back story to this if you wouldn't mind?

Quote Originally Posted by mja_20 View Post
    well that is an interesting rifle. Whats the back story to this if you wouldn't mind?
    I bought this in '97. When I bought it, it was covered in grease, rust, suet, dirt, and paint. The existing Handguard is a replacement. The original was nothing more than a wood "biscut" . It was broken off just passed the rear band. The top of the barrel was exposed and covered in rust and suet
    I was claening the stock for a week before I got the dirt and paint out of the keeper inlet and noticed the serial number there. When I called the previous owner concerning the serial number in the inlet, he didnt know it was there.

I am still cleaning it, but now I just mostly wipe it down with Balistol.

I think this was a "fireplace gun" as the stock on the upper left side seems a bit dark.

donal, are the bands and fp numbered? seeing if i could add an 'except' to the stock numbered then bands numbered rule of thumb.

Could this have to do with the start of a new SN (4100) ?

Some type of test gun? Every 100?

way cool!!

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cool rifle. A few more questions... is that a bnz shield on the barrel code? do you have pics of the FP and TG?

Hey guys,

I just logged back on. The bands are KM, and unnumbered. The FP byf , e/135, blued) and the TG ( svw, e/135, phosphated) are both unnumbered.

I think one pic may show some of the Barrel Code. Yes, its a BNZ shield.

Here are some pics. The band screws were bogus when I bought it and I am in search of Steyr screws. The screws on it now appear to be Czech. I put those on it becuase they're phosphated.

Anyway,hereare some more pics.
    Last edited by don w; 02-27-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Hi TA,

I had that same thought too. I was thinking it may have been due to every 100 or 1000.
    If you are working in poor lighting, then marking the inlet like that may be a good way. You just check with a flashlight.
    If you marked the inlet for accountablity, you certainly wouldnt have to worry that way about a tie or colored paper falling off a rifle causing a re-count.

As to the number in the Barrel Channel, and the use of all four digits on the rear sight and ramp-
    I spoke with Reinolf Reisinger in Austria about this. He thought, like some other knowledgable people on this forum, that some worker did it for an unknown reason. Could be was in the hospital and brought back to work. Could be a transfered worker from another factory,,could have been a total newbie and didnt know the new format.,,all kinds of scenerios. But who knows ?
    Last edited by don w; 03-24-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Don, reading the post by itself one would be skeptical. Then looking at the pics, that looks completely correct and I'd snap up a rifle like that in a second. Very unusual, and have not seen that in bnz 45 production, or any 45 production. Something is special about that piece and it has to do with serial. Cool rifle, pic stickied.