Third Party Press

Thread: French R35 Lebel with LK5 stock marking

Default French R35 Lebel with LK5 stock marking

Bruce picked this up at my request at a show he was at. I have an LK5 marked 98k and wanted a companion Beutewaffen with the same marking. From online searching and speaking with other collectors, the LK5 marking is as of yet unattributed. There are a few theories, but they are just that, theories. I suspect that the marking is German, and associated with a rework facility, perhaps in the French zone of occupation. The majority of arms with the LK5 marking are French, with some German, Greek, Yugoslavian, and other non-standard weapons. All seem to be wartime or pre-war rifles that have the marking, and a few vet bringback type rifles have LK5 markings (other LK markings exist, such as LK4, LK3, LK2, etc.)

I'm not a French rifle collector so I'm not certain what is numbered on these, but the front band is numbered with 2 digits which I believe are unnumbered on French production. Bolt is Electro penciled to match, and my dou43 K98 with LK5 marking has EP'd parts (along with other reported LK5 marked guns). Not all LK5 marked guns appear to be reworked though, which in itself doesn't mean a lot as there are WW2 German 98k's worked on by depots that don't necessarily show rework traits.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Very nice. Bands were never numbered on Lebels, so this was a depot addition. Only the bolt, barrel, forestock, buttstock, triggerguard, and mag plate were numbered. These later Lebels (and from the Manufrance barrel I assume the barrel is dated 1938/39), are parked and painted like the MAS36. I assume it has some two digit number stamped on or near the wrist as well? Found on most LK5 rifles.

Here is an LK5 SVT40 with some signs of German service: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-Izhevsk-svt40
    Last edited by RyanE; 11-23-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Yes, wrist is stamped with #50 and date is 1938.

That's a beauty Farb.

Thanks. I forgot to mention that the buttplate is numbered with the 3 digit number as well.

Very nice rifle. Thanks also for providing the context of the marking. It's nice for guys like me to be able to get some insight into the less common/rare depots and markings in a venue like this.
    Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.