Third Party Press

S42K, Mauser Oberndorf SN61, Test bed for new optical system

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
As part of the ongoing work for the chapter on Mauser Oberndorf, I present
this jem. Courtesy of one of our members, I "borrowed" this for a few weeks.
Thanks Paul! Will be adding more pics in the next 2 days. Simply amazing.\

Dave is correct in that this was a test bed for the Jung scope system.

Here is a note from Jon:
Here is a pic from the original Mauser research department report for the month of August 1944 that shows the listing for the Jung scope and mount status which mentions that the parts and drawings have been returned and the contract terminated for this project as the arma had no interest in this unit and there were efforts underway to develop another form of 4x scope .

He also sent me the image of the Jung scope compared to a ZF4 and ZF41. Most interesting.

As opposed to the JPSauer swept back mount and rarity, I would have to defer to this example as being one of the rarest among known examples. Perhaps Dave might want to comment on this.

The machined aluminum bedding is obvious from the pics and shows to what extent Mauser was willing to go to test the accuracy of this
platform. The gun is box cut behind the rear band but he didnt cut through the alum. channel.

Attachments

• DSC_0765_lr.jpg
    DSC_0765_lr.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 414
  • DSC_0766_lr.jpg
    DSC_0766_lr.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 394
  • DSC_0776_lr.jpg
    DSC_0776_lr.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC_0801_lr.jpg
    DSC_0801_lr.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 360
  • 74_bw.jpg
    74_bw.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 383
  • DSC_0769_lr.jpg
    DSC_0769_lr.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC_0805_lr.jpg
    DSC_0805_lr.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 360
  • DSC_0803_lr.jpg
    DSC_0803_lr.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC_0840_lr.jpg
    DSC_0840_lr.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC_0857_lr.jpg
    DSC_0857_lr.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC_0831_lr.jpg
    DSC_0831_lr.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC_0825_lr.jpg
    DSC_0825_lr.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC_0851_lr.jpg
    DSC_0851_lr.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC_0883_lr.jpg
    DSC_0883_lr.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC_0775_lr.jpg
    DSC_0775_lr.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
WOWSER!!!!!!!!!!

What is that "box" on the left side? I thought at first a Leico collimator, but not likely. WHAT IS IT? :)

WOWSER!!!!!!!!!!

What is that "box" on the left side? I thought at first a Leico collimator, but not likely. WHAT IS IT? :)
Vulch
If You have Sniper Variations Pg137 It takes a Prismatic Telescopic Sight with Post Reticule and Rubber Head Rest on Spring Steel Arm . Designed by Dr.Jung . Special Left Side Mounted Rail Base . That`s Really a Rare Test Piece . I will use that word RARE!!!!!!!!!
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks Dave - no, I don't have the book, as sniper's have never been my interest (and out of my reach anyway, and repros hold no appeal to me whatsoever).

60 years on

We are still learning..this is what makes this even more fun. Discovery is always the most exciting phase of collecting.:thumbsup:

Bruce, Being such an early rifle, I would be curious as to the BC and RR?

Data

Paul I updated pics with your data.
In short, RR = P74 (x3), barrel code is Krupp (KR 8H4999), barrel code inspection is e/106, P74 (x3).

Also for the rest of the gang, this gun was likely produced on the first day of K98k production at Mauser Oberndorf in late 1934.
At the longest, figure 12 weeks of production, maybe 8 to 10 on the short side. Certainly an October to November startup.

Man, I couldn't even imagine stumbling upon this beaut, nevermind the fact that it's a rare sniper prototype.

No "Wa" or circled "Wa" marking? (this is seen on a couple of the earliest rifles out of MO, not sure if it has any significance at all..)

Any thoughts on the e/106? Not sure I have seen that before on a MO? Something to do with the experimental nature of the rifle?

Thanks!

Paul I updated pics with your data.
In short, RR = P74 (x3), barrel code is Krupp (KR 8H4999), barrel code inspection is e/106, P74 (x3).

Also for the rest of the gang, this gun was likely produced on the first day of K98k production at Mauser Oberndorf in late 1934.
At the longest, figure 12 weeks of production, maybe 8 to 10 on the short side. Certainly an October to November startup.

Data

Paul my other K date has the 'Wa' mark stamped on the barrel. Any thoughts on this mark?
There is the obvious Waffenamt connection but I am unsure here.

The enclosed image is from S42K, SN 2059a.

Attachments

• DSCN7633_bw.jpg
    DSCN7633_bw.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
So, lets recap.
Excellent two digit S/42K: check.
Experimental "sniper": check.
Holy Crap. :faint:

Are there any surviving examples of the optic? :) Some detailed pics with info on its operation would be neat.

Optics

I believe as of this thread, there are 2 sets of optics - on in the US and another in Germany (neither with current owner).

Holy smokes, never knew that existed. Thanks for sharing Bruce, and pic stickied, breat stuff!

No, was thinking you, or JonS/JoeS might... ?

Just noticed it on the earliest S42K dates, sometimes w/o the circle. Only 3-4 recorded, but they are all very early.

Paul my other K date has the 'Wa' mark stamped on the barrel. Any thoughts on this mark?
There is the obvious Waffenamt connection but I am unsure here.

The enclosed image is from S42K, SN 2059a.

Wa stamp

Jon is unsure of the application of this mark and he is going to check with Lockhoven to
see if he has any background knowledge on this mark.

Its great to have that kind of "horsepower" in resources we have on this board.

I know this is an old thread, but am the only one who is amazed that in August 1944, this kind of highly complex and speculative research work was being carried on, as though the year was 1934, not 1944?

When what was needed was a strong, simple scope and mounting in the largest possible numbers, what was the point of fiddling around with such a fragile and overly complex design that would require extensive modifications to the stocks of the rifles? Not only that, but how is this mount base collimated to the rifle?

Compare this ridiculous venture with the Soviet PU scope mount which can be screwed onto the side of the receiver and then perfectly collimated with nothing more than a file and a screwdriver!

The aluminum bedding? This must be an unrelated project as surely Herr Doktor Jung did not expect that a strategic material in short supply would be allocated for this project in late 1944; even if it was technically desirable!

"The Army was not interested"; I'm surprised they didn't send him and those who approved such a waste of resource to the Ost Front!:laugh: After all, by August 1944 it was only about a day's drive away!

If they wanted to build something useful in August 1944 a long eye relief scope similar in size to the ZF4 that could be simply screwed onto the base of the K98 backsight base (after removing the sight) would have been useful.

Military Rifle Journal
Back