Third Party Press

Looking to get first Gew98

Kcode98

I'm really wanting a WWI era German rifle. Are there any sites that have information on what the things to look for are? That way I can do a bit of research. Also what are the going prices right now? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Sites on what to look for?

I do not know of a website that offers buying tips on Imperial German rifles specifically, though here and Gunboards-Mauser have had dozens, if not hundreds, of threads that cover this topic in a general way. You will have to be specific if you want specific answers, but generally:

1. Do not buy first and research later, take the time to understand the rifles before you buy. Buying the books or researching the forums should be done first and you should be comfortable with the basics before you buy if at all possible. True you may lose interest in the process, but better that than rushing into a purchase and guaranteeing your dissatisfaction after being ripped off.

2. The stock is more than half the rifle, generally avoid all rifles with artificial stock problems (sanding, chemical treatments, buggery, alterations, or that are significantly damaged). Walnut stocks carry a premium to most buyers, beech are less desirable and markings weaker. Do not try and save a couple hundred buying a rifle with stock problems, they may seem a bargain but they aren't and will be harder to flip later.

3. While an ugly rifle is not necessarily a thing to be avoided, it is best to stick with attractive rifles wherever possible. They are easier to sell and for more money, - many issues are at play here, rarity, condition, but generally you should try to stay with attractive rifles. Heavy rust, pitting, idiot marks (vice marks, wrench marks, wallered out screw heads, slips and gouges in the wood not period done, etc...) are best avoided.

4. Generally the receiver, bolt, follower and cleaning rod are bright metal, all else blued or straw. Keep an eye out for unnatural appearances, or over buffing, some rifles (receivers) have heavy patina and some buff the receivers, some do this better than others, some do not like it at all. To each their own, but unnatural tones can be detrimental to a rifles value and resale potential.

5. Last and most important, if you are not sure, are suspect, or something seems wrong... it probably is, do not try to explain away problems you can't grasp, if you have to make excuses for a rifle there is a problem and it is best to save your money for a rifle you do not have to talk yourself into.

One could write an article about this subject but this is all I can think of in 10-15 minutes which is all the time I have. Good luck and ask questions before buying, - main thing is to have patience, - the rifles are not as hard as people think to find and it is easy to let impatience get the better of your wallet.

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking of possibly a website such as this http://7.62x54r.net/ Didn't know if one existed or not.

I hear what you are saying about the stock. Bad thing is I cannot really tell if a stock has been messed with or not, unless it is an extreme example. Also is it typical or not to have the numbers matching? I found two Gew rifles today. Date on them said 1895.

Stocks should match internally and externally (w/o suffix), they should also have clear acceptance and a cypher (the German Army was made up of the Armies of the four main states - Prussia, Bavaria, Saxony and Württemberg, each King had a cypher - Crown/Initials) - this should be on every Imperial rifle if it is factory original. Ordnance spares will not have this cypher, best to avoid reworks unless you know more, generally they are worth less anyway.

1895 obviously wouldn't be a Gewehr98, they might be Gewehr88's, they could also be commercial rifles for export, - how was the siderail marked exactly? Mod.93-95's can be valuable depending on a lot of variables, but they are not German military rifles, most were sold to Spain and South America.

Military Rifle Journal
Back