Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contract? Carcano

Default Contract? Carcano

Not really a contract rifle, but a Carcano. I'm posting these photos to show the sling arrangement. It wasn't on this gun, but I saw this arrangement on another Carcano rifle so I put this one on to illustrate what I saw. Has anyone seen a Carcano with a 98k sling on it other than me? Is this something a collector might have done? Period use?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mrfarb; 09-15-2010 at 08:21 AM.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Yes, I bought a Calvary Carcano 8yrs ago just for the sling. Its a late war sling with two stitch rows instead of three. The rifle is 7.35 and not SA marked for the Finish army with a fixed sight, besides that its the same rifle as yours. I still have the rifle and sling, if you want I can post pic's in a week or two?

Safe Tour

Safe Travels

I wouldn’t know if its period or not. But, I will say this, it looks pretty good!

Disclaimer: I know this post was useless but that’s the nicest carcano I’ve ever seen. Has to be the sling!

For whats its worth, the dealer I bought the rifle from said he bought it from a Vet Sherman Tanker who served in Italy, with the sling set up as is.

Safe Travels

Safe Tour

Yeah Fuzzy, post some pics.

Thanks 337- I think it looks nice because of the sling too.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Default Volksturm

Given how many of these were issued to the "home guard" I am surprised we don't see more with a 98k type sling.

Quote Originally Posted by jack944 View Post
    Given how many of these were issued to the "home guard" I am surprised we don't see more with a 98k type sling.
    Not a likely scenario when the sling is worth more than the rifle.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without

One of the common Italian slings used on these was a leather button stud arrangement just like an MP40 sling. Which brings me to my point that this type of use of a K98k sling is not surprising considering that they were rigged the same way on MP40s, as shown by many period pics.

Pisgah, that's pretty significant Carcano prejudice. The sling is worth about half the rifle ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Pisgah, that's pretty significant Carcano prejudice. The sling is worth about half the rifle ;)
    A (Kar.98k) sling may be worth half THAT Carcano. Otherwise I stand by my previous, incendiary remark.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without

Default Funny

Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    A (Kar.98k) sling may be worth half THAT Carcano. Otherwise I stand by my previous, incendiary remark.

Kinda like how do you double the value of a Yugo...Fill the tank with gas......