Third Party Press

Late K43 matching sniper rig

jack944

In honor of the birth of our illustrious moderator's son... I post one of my favorite rifles that I own. All matching including the mount...untouched and all original.

Attachments

• k43sniper.jpg
    k43sniper.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 420
  • k43sniper1.jpg
    k43sniper1.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 505
  • k43sniper2.jpg
    k43sniper2.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 613
  • k43sniper3.jpg
    k43sniper3.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 478
  • k43sniper4.jpg
    k43sniper4.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 508
  • k43sniper5.jpg
    k43sniper5.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
more pics

More pics..more pics

Attachments

• k43sniper6.jpg
    k43sniper6.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 316
  • k43sniper7.jpg
    k43sniper7.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 239
  • k43sniper8.jpg
    k43sniper8.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 279
  • k43sniper9.jpg
    k43sniper9.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 227
  • k43sniper10.jpg
    k43sniper10.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 268
  • k43sniper11.jpg
    k43sniper11.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 243
pics

More more more

Attachments

• k43sniper15.jpg
    k43sniper15.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 246
  • k43sniper16.jpg
    k43sniper16.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 274
  • k43sniper17.jpg
    k43sniper17.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 205
Wow, that's a beauty. I've been looking for a matched-mount K43 sniper for a few years now, and they are very difficult to find in this condition. You're fortunate to have one in your collection. I'm glad to see that you've left it untouched. So many of these rifles have been hurt by improper cleaning.

I guess no serial # on the bolt indicates an armorer's replacement?... doesn't bother me a bit on this rifle.

Thanks for sharing it!

Sincerely,
Mike

Nice......
It does not get much better than that. :thumbsup:

Good to see some activity in this section. Seems like it has been a slow summer for some.

Brian

as issued..not armorer's replacement

Wow, that's a beauty. I've been looking for a matched-mount K43 sniper for a few years now, and they are very difficult to find in this condition. You're fortunate to have one in your collection. I'm glad to see that you've left it untouched. So many of these rifles have been hurt by improper cleaning.

I guess no serial # on the bolt indicates an armorer's replacement?... doesn't bother me a bit on this rifle.

Thanks for sharing it!

Sincerely,
Mike

The bolt was installed at the factory. It is not a replacement. In the d block there have been several other rifles noted as such. Just using up parts laying around.

note, the carrier is also a earlier war type. probably rejected earlier on for some minor reason then used in the last months of production...or they just reached the bottom of the bin and it was there.

The bolt was installed at the factory. It is not a replacement. In the d block there have been several other rifles noted as such. Just using up parts laying around.

I did not know that. Thanks for the clarification!

note, the carrier is also a earlier war type. probably rejected earlier on for some minor reason then used in the last months of production...or they just reached the bottom of the bin and it was there.

Brian and Jack are both mentors of mine so keep that in mind when I start to type and I actually appear to know what Im talking about

Nice rifle Jack, thanks for posting I remember when you got it after I scored TWO matching mount guns in one month and you couldnt stand that :)

IMO these types of bolts are NOT armorers replacements...I have seen at least four other D blocks, two of which I own(ed)....these types of carriers to me look like very early carriers that were never finish milled for the bolt hold open latch...note ther is no reinforcing rib on top, the top part is much more thin and squared off than other typical late war carriers, like those that show the reverse "45" markings....like Brian, I think these were left over, in the parts bin, and worked good enough for late WWII so they used them up, or were due to a start up of the old forging machines??....one can also find the standard mid war type carriers, the late "45" type I mentioned, and these, which I consider a type of their own

also, the guns I have seen with these appear nearly unissued and may have been captured before any or much use at all, so an armorer's bolt doesnt make much sense in a nearly new gun...now in an earlier or mid war gun, makes sense....one or two that I thought were in fact armorers carriers were shaped different

Notice too that Jack's gun has one of the original scope covers that make use of thin brown leather for the straps instead of the usual black leather...each one Ive seen came on late war stuff

agree.

Another theory about the un numbered bolts is that they were still on the factory floor "in process" (awaiting final numbering??) when it was captured...since the "d" block marks the end of complete production at Walther for these. I am sure the factory was in quite the state of confusion those last few weeks, knowing very well that we are fast approaching.

Like Jonathan stated, most of the un-numbered bolts have been like new. We will never know.

Thanks for elaborating on the un-numbered bolts. This is very informative. Had I not read this, I might have assumed that a previous collector of the rifle added the un-numbered bolt to “upgrade” it from one that was mismatched.

I imagine that there are examples of late-war K43’s on which a fraudster has added matching numbers to an unmarked bolt thinking that they were “improving” it (I hope not many).

Thanks again for the enlightenment. I can see that there are some very knowledgeable people here.

Mike

Last edited:
Good

Mike,

You are correct. Most books including Darrin's super effort simply cannot contain all information about every variation. Darrin notes some bolt variations in the d block in his book. Unless you talk to guys that are here and have seen many rifles, you could make the incorrect assumption about what you see. You will find the more you collect that exceptions to rule occur more often than noted. Beware of absolutes that "all" guns have certain characterstics. Most often the statistical data set is so small that real conclusions are at best guidelines..not absolute.

You are on the mark about collectors "restoring or making rifles correct". I know of an "advanced" collector who took the correct stock off of a bcd4 Mauser 135 receiver proofed dual code. He didn't understand about about dual codes and assumed the gun "should" have a bcd "c" proofed stock and replaced it. In reality the original stock that was on it proofed 135 was correct.

Welcome aboard.

Last edited:
Jack, that's really what minty crisp looks like and untouched. You've got some exceptional stuff. Pic stickied. Thanks for sharing it.

Mike,

You are correct. Most books including Darrin's super effort simply cannot contain all information about every variation. Darrin notes some bolt variations in the d block in his book. Unless you talk to guys that are here and have seen many rifles, you could make the incorrect assumption about what you see. You will find the more you collect that exceptions to rule occur more often than noted. Beware of absolutes that "all" guns have certain characterstics. Most often the statistical data set is so small that real conclusions are at best guidelines..not absolute.

Jack, those are words to live by. I'm realizing it more and more. I agree with you that the use of reference books is best treated as a jumping-off point towards further and/or more accurate knowledge. Often, I have just as many questions as I do answers after reading certain references, but I guess that's what keeps it all interesting.

Military Rifle Journal
Back