Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combat Vet Podolsk SVT40

Default Combat Vet Podolsk SVT40

All matching combat vet SVT40 manufactured by Factory No.460 in Podolsk in early 1941. All original finish on both the metal and stock. This one has definitely seen some use probably with the Germans in the west. The Podolsk facility, believe it or not, was the old Singer Sewing Machine Factory originaly built by Singer in 1902. Before being seized by the communists in 1918, it had grown to become Singer's third largest factory. The factory continued producing Singer style sewing machines (a lot of them) until the summer of 1940. Production of SVTs finally started very late in 1940 and ended around October of 1941 when the factory machinery was evacuated. Production was apparently restarted very briefly at Factory No.585 in Zlatoust before the SVT program was cancelled in the summer of 1942 but production was so low no one has ever seen one.

Note that the bolt carrier is numbered without prefix on the underside of the bolt with Podolsk acceptance on top as is normal for early Podolsk rifles. Later in 1941, they would reverse this and bolt carriers will be numbered on top (again without prefix) with Podoslk acceptance on the bottom of the handle.

In another early feature, the stock is numbered vertically. The later rifles are numbered horizontally in the normal fashion. The expected Podolsk inspector/commander initials 'B.C.' are barely visible under the serial.Stock finish is virtually identical to my bringback 91/30, a tough reddish-brown oil varnish. Not shellac.

Rifle is absolutely filthy (looks like an attic or barn find) and missing a few minor parts (gas piston rod and extension, cleaning rod release, etc., how do you lose these??) but nothing to worry about. Some light rust, but a lot of the crusty brown stuff on the rifle is actually 70 year old grease that has solidified into a glue. Every corner of the rifle is packed with it. I actually had to take a brass punch to separate the bolt and carrier, and the triggergroup is quite stuck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RyanE; 12-07-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Corrected initials

Last ones. I am in need of an original, non-refurbished SVT38 or 40 magazine if anyone has an extra.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RyanE; 12-08-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Pics added

Man, that is super nice

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdibbs88 View Post
    Man, that is super nice
    Great photos too. Nice work.

Just excellent, congrats! I'd LOVE to find one untouched like that. It's very refreshing to see one that hasn't been rebuilt and slopped with a gallon of shellac and cheap bluing. Thank you for sharing.
    Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

I would of bought that gun. It is just how I like to find them, if it could only talk

Stephen

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RyanE View Post
    Last ones. I am in need of an original, non-refurbished SVT38 or 40 magazine if anyone has an extra.
    I have 3 variations of SVT 40 mags to sell.
    Orig factory stamped ser nr, orig nr lined out and a new nr pencil etched above and a factory replacement mag with no ser nr. All are in Exc condition. $200 ea.
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens "undocumented immigrants" is like calling drug dealers "unlicensed pharmacists!"
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

Wow, Ryan, that's a super SVT and quite rare. Well done. Some light conservation on the metal and it will look much nicer. If it was mine, I'd lightly knock off the active rust on the metal with bronze wool and ballistol. That's it. I'd leave as much dried grease as I could and nothing would be made to shine. If you do any of this, post up some "after" pics. Very nice and pic stickied.

Thank you for posting this. It has to be one of the coolest things I've seen posted on this Website. I like the German rifles, but these Russian guns are so much more difficult to find matching and original.

Yep, you'll find 10 G.41Ms for every SVT.38, and a truckload of G/K.43s for every nice matching unmessed with SVT.40, particularly one of these. Though I don't beat the bushes for them, I've never seen one of these matching and in original condition.