Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "b/ii prototype" helmet sold on german ebay for 992 eu ($1,362)

Default "b/ii prototype" helmet sold on german ebay for 992 eu ($1,362)

This helmet recently sold on German Ebay for $1,362. I suspect it is a well crafted fake intended to deceive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by M45; 12-16-2013 at 03:43 PM.

I believe this to be an authentic example. IKA44 rivets and RFNr. chinstrap.
    Last edited by M45; 01-05-2014 at 09:30 PM.

That's cool. The nicer, original of these is really neat. I saw all the testing on these in the back of my Baer book. Simplified manufacture and very good ballistic qualities, even though it looks a bit funny. How many originals are known? Thanks for posting, pic stickied.

Ham: there were two sets of prototypes if I read Baer correctly. The first earlier set (1940, 41?) made by the Volklingen Stahlwerke (B, B/II, C) were used for ballistics testing among other things.
    The second set (B, B/II) was made in 1944 by Thale and used for troop training. 50 examples of each type were made of these. I believe my example is a Thale example.

This is the only example of a real B/II I know of, but feel confident that others have survived and are in high-end collections.
    I know of no original B, C or Thale examples.
    Last edited by M45; 12-18-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks, that's good info. Is the second one yours?

Yeah. It was an indirect vet purchase. I would like to find the B, C, and Thale examples but I may be waiting awhile.

That's an awesome helmet. I've never seen one. What's the back story?

As you have read Baer on the topic, there were troop training trials, I believe at the Doberitz? infantry school south of Berlin. Infantry cadets apparently wore the prototypes when confronting the Soviets during their southern sweep toward Berlin.
    Some of these unusual helmets were no doubt acquired by the Soviets who then moved on to Berlin, eventually to fraternize with western troops. I suspect this example may have been traded for cigarettes/alcohol and wound up in a US serviceman's duffel bag and shipped home. The serviceman apparently kept the helmet all these years until he finally went to a rest home and his family sold his belongings. I acquired the helmet on Ebay back in 06.
    Last edited by M45; 12-25-2013 at 10:12 AM.

It's a great piece and quite rare. I've never seen one in anywhere close to that shape. I've not seen one that I could confirm as original, though I've only seen maybe 4 or 5 represented to be this.

I have seen several dozen supposed examples over the years, both B/II and B.
    Flared rims, decals, vent holes, fresh rust and dome stamps are dead giveaways.
    Last edited by M45; 12-24-2013 at 11:49 AM.