Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MP.40 period pics

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Kreta. Fairly well known pic series in FJ collector circles. The FJ took a beating as they were fighting Anzacs and such, many of whom were rural types and roo shooters, not to mention the Cretans. So they needed a scout/sniper capability.
    Think it was also the last time they jumped with their weapons save pistols, and maybe the MP's (but I don't recall on those) stored in the drop containers...they got pinned down on the landing zones, and couldn't get to the drop containers and get their long arms and MG's....

Was digging through all my pictures thought I post what few MP40 period pictures I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

If you find good period pics of the MP.40 post em up.
    Pic 4 of 14 in your original post, Craig, such a thing to see everyone set their weapons on the bipod mounted MG at rest...as an infantryman, and M60/M240 gunner we all chuckled at how the boys would lay their rifles against our MG's, because you NEVER laid them on the ground, but stacking rifles was a pain, funny how that tradition is older than I knew!

Jeff
    Collecting latewar K98k rifles and snipers and scopes, and WWII German 6x30 binoculars.

INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Front page of the Berliner Illustrierte Zeitung Oct 1, 1942. The attack on the city of Stalingrad started mid-September.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Guillaume d'Orange; 05-22-2020 at 07:24 PM.

GO, that’s a great pic, classic. Notice that the NCO on the left has the MP.40 sling. On the right, he has adapted the K98k sling, which was not unusual.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

GO, that’s a great pic, classic.
    Indeed, I thought it was worth posting as it was published, with the name of the author (Kriegsberichter Geller) and the propaganda comment that gives a sense of foreboding some 78 years after the events.

By the way, you may already know that but the Bundesarchiv has uploaded pics on Wikimedia and organized them by "Kriegsberichter":
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...agandakompanie

Notice that the NCO on the left has the MP.40 sling. On the right, he has adapted the K98k sling, which was not unusual.
    Perhaps a sign that the supply chain has already fallen apart at that time...
    Last edited by Guillaume d'Orange; 05-23-2020 at 05:49 AM.