Third Party Press

3296T bnz45

CanadianAR

Canadian Grizzly Eh
Staff member
I just got this in the mail today.

It is a bnz45 3296T Kreigsmodell. It is my first KM, and first original bnz.

It is all phosphate except hood, sight leaf, slide, ramp and ejector box.

All matching, except it has no number on the sight base. Not sure if thisis just sloppy steyr or what.

Has a slew of desirable features.
Extra rough gas shield
Round Hood
Odd Size Laminate Handguard
White glue stock

Barrel code is E O bnz shield 1, e/waa623

It is so poorly machined its unreal. The bolt is so hard to cock I thought something was going to break. lol.

Anyways heres some pics.

DSC_0839_zpsdbfb0db4.jpgDSC_0840_zps805808d4.jpgDSC_0850_zpsa53479b5.jpgDSC_0849_zps7bb2d277.jpgDSC_0885_zps0357209a.jpgDSC_0857_zps8ba8e9ce.jpgDSC_0872_zps456e01bb.jpgDSC_0873_zps2ac961f2.jpgDSC_0856_zps2228eec9.jpgDSC_0876-Copy_zpsd464f839.jpgDSC_0883_zps79939cac.jpgDSC_0899_zpsc9b043b9.jpgDSC_0914_zps875e504d.jpgDSC_0913_zpsea3ed94a.jpgDSC_0893_zps52a3c190.jpgDSC_0891_zps936647e5.jpgDSC_0908_zpsd20e2682.jpgDSC_0904_zps42fc24eb.jpgDSC_0905_zps8488093f.jpgDSC_0906_zpsa6fc9c82.jpg

Last edited:

You are lucky:happy0180:
Really like yours rifle,congrats with it
Regards

Last edited:
Interesting that it is white glue. For laminated stock Kriegsmodell Steyrs red glue is the norm. I like it.

Great rifle, has some of the things that makes them fun to collect (like the odd size laminate handguard and that rough gas shield). Not sure about the rear sight ramp, but it looks like it's been there a while so I'd leave it as is. You don't find many white glue Steyr stocks this late, most are red glue as stated or walnut.

As per our email the sight pin is definitely un disturbed so the ramp must have just slipped through. Not unheard of as we all know.

Last edited:
That is just fantastic! There are so many cool features on this one. I think I have to say the combination of the white glue stock and double struck e/H are my favorite oddities on this one.

Congrats buddy!

So how does a banner ramp end up on this rifle?

Assorted parts scraped up at the facility. Maybe a small batch of armourer type parts or unused parts from a different facility taken to the facility to meet an acute need at some point. You pretty much see oddball armourer type parts, and frequently not from the same manufacturer, used at all the manufacturers late in 1945 production.

That's good to hear. I'd not read of steyr doing that but I guess it's possible.

Had there been pin damage or leaf incorrect I could see meddling but not with proper leaf and slider and pristine pin.

Thanks Eric!

Well done, that's a great late rifle. The white glue stock looks very nice on this one and the final acceptance is nice and heavy!!

So I thought I would write up a data sheet type of entry for this rifle. I know it would have helped me in the past, so maybe it will help someone else.

Sight hood - blued, rounded

Front sight base - phosphate, e/77

Front band- blued, phosphate screw

Rear band- phosphate, phosphate screw

Hand guard- Odd size red glue laminate

Stock End cap - phosphate

Sight leaf- blued, e/623, serialled

Sight slide - blued, e/623

Rear sight base- blued, un numbered banner part

Barrel- serialized, proofed, phosphate

Barrel Code: E O bnz1 shield, e/waa623

Receiver- phosphate, e/623, Mod 98 bnz45

Trigger guard- svw e/135, phosphate

Floor plate - byf e/135, phosphate

Follow- blued, lxr

Bolt- phosphate, serialized, e/623, and hardness test on bottom flat, proofed on rear flat

Safety - phosphate

Bolt Sleeve- serialized, phosphate, rough rough 2nd type

Cocking Piece- serialized, phosphate

Firing pin- white. Serialized

Extractor- blued

Ejector box- blued

Ejector screw- phosphate

Front action screw- blued, round

Rear action screw - phosphate, round

Trigger- blued

Sear- blued

Stock: White glue lam, e/H