Third Party Press

K98k PEM

Absolut

Just recently on an European auction site a ground dug K98k action caught my interest. While usually I absolutely dislike those rusted pieces and just take a look at those to feel pity for the guys who collect them, this one was special. Special, because the receiver had a scope base attached what I identified as the Russian side scope base for the PE(M) scope. The description anyway was frightening off people, by mentioning that "the barrel was welded and when buyer is in Germany the bolt face will be cut off" (to demill everything according to the law). But when getting in touch with the seller I soon found out that he had only (tried, what I found out by now) filled the barrel with lead, was is rather easily removeable. Though I do not plan to shoot it, it's still nice to know that "it could shoot".

Two weeks later now I finally received everything, still thickly covered with dried mud. I then started to carefully try to clean with a plastic brush, what I soon gave up due to the really heavily stuck mud. I continued and was successful with a brass brush, and after 45 minutes of cleaning I was able to remove the bolt. At some places is the mud such heavily stuck to the metal that I need to carefully knock it off, but in general I was really astonished how good the metal is after being covered with water and mud for more than 60 years. Nearly all serials and WaA's are still visible and present, as the pictures show. And of course are all serials matching, including bayonet lug, rear sight, magazine and magazine screws.

But to get to the interesting point, the scope rail. It is attached to the left side of the receiver with what appears to be K98k magazine guard front screws. The small offset in the receiver was filled with what appears to be silver solder, or shims. I'm still not sure, but the blank colour lets me believe it's something softer than the steel of the receiver.

I hope to somewhen come across a PE(M) scope with mount in matching condition, to recomplete the rifle to "former glory" (and if someone here has one, please let me know!). So far I have only heard and seen original pictures of such a combination, but this piece now finally clearly shows how these field-assembled rifles were originally done. Maybe Dave can post those pictures, he was the only one who I've told about this rifle before.

First the pictures showing the rifle as it was before cleaning, later the pictures as it's now. And I'm still not finished yet.

ATB,

Georg

PS: I originally inteded to first try to ask whether someone here would say if there was a BNZ41 sniper. Up to that rifle, I'd have 100% agreed that there isn't one..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 234
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 256
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 217
Attached pictures as the rifle is now. The bolt has been disassembled nearly completely, only need to remove the firing pin...

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 189
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 164
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 157
Last few pictures.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 131
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 131
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 120
That is neat! I too have seen photos but seeing a ground dug one is neat.

Very cool relic. The conditions must have been just right for it to be in such decent shape.

Unreal that the bolt opens......was it loaded? or empty case?

Would this item have been built by germans using captured soviet hardware, or vice versa?

Very cool! There is at least one well circulated photo of a K98k with PEM setup. Any idea where this one was found?

Attachments

• Bundesarchiv_Bild_169-0526,_Russland,_Scharfschütze_in_Stellung.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_169-0526,_Russland,_Scharfschütze_in_Stellung.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 165
really neat! i have been wanting to build a repro but just cant bring myself to pay the prices for a PEM scope and mount.......

That is an extremely interesting rifle. Thanks for posting. Hopefully Dave will post his. The PEM side mount was a very solid system.

Georg and myself have been corresponding about this find of his , Super find and I would say this is something Rare . I have been patiently waiting for him to post these pics , so others could see it . It is in good condition for being buried for how ever many years . My Example is in the process of restoration as we speak . It taken a couple years to gather everything I needed to do it . This example gives needed info for a proper restoration of the Base mounting (maybe) all were done the same (maybe not) . Georg You really do in my opinion have a wonderful German Sniper regardless of condition issues . Best Regards

Oh well Dave, just give me some time until it's finished. I bet you'll love it then!

I'm pretty sure they used the original German screws for attaching the rail to the rifle, not the Russian ones. Will need to compare, but let you know. They also seemed to punch the screws on the inside of the receiver rail, to secure it in place. Might answer the question why the securing screw is missing on one of the two. But probably only the head fell off, I'll find out when I'm in the process of finalizing everything.

The bolt was stuck in the rifle exactly as it's pictured at the beginning. Cocked and in safe position, without any rounds in the magazine. I guess they didn't want the rifle in the hand of the enemies. Pity the scope wasn't found with the rifle, but I at least was told that the rifle was found among 15 others (none with a scope base) and three K43s, of which all had the ZF4 mounted. So probably surrendered, and the sniper threw away the scope so that they won't identify him. But to get back, of course the firing pin spring is still pressed, though there is no pressure on it anymore. Well, but after 60 years of being cocked it can be broken.

If the scope really is exactly above the barrel then I also assume that this scope mount was probably better than any official German mount. Easy to mount, also very safe and stable, plus it could be added to any rifle in the field. Also the Russian PEM scopes were really good scopes.

Dave, do you have the picture of the sniper course to upload here aswell? Guess it would be cool to show that there were more than just your and my rifle!

.. just an update, in case someone would like to see it. Friend modified the stock for me, took the worst one I was able to found.

Attachments

• pem1.jpg
    pem1.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 185
  • pem2.jpg
    pem2.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 182
  • pem3.jpg
    pem3.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 161
  • pem4.jpg
    pem4.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 178
  • pem5.jpg
    pem5.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 161
  • pem6.jpg
    pem6.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 151
  • pem7.jpg
    pem7.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 142
  • pem8.jpg
    pem8.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 139
  • pem9.jpg
    pem9.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 134
  • pem10.jpg
    pem10.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 142
Looks pretty good.

You can add a repro PEM scope and mount for not too much, if you just want it to look complete. Even a dug mount will be pricey.

Do we know what kind of metal held up so will to shim the rear of the scope mount to receiver fit, aluminum? Whatever it is was sure rust resistant.

I'm about to purchase an original mount, have already received pictures of it. I'm not that in a hurry that I need a scope mount and scope inmediately, therefore I won't purchase a reproduction. They are anyway more common in Europe.

Regarding the metal, I am pretty sure it's Aluminium. Most probably from an aeroplane, or whatever was at hand.

I'm about to purchase an original mount, have already received pictures of it. I'm not that in a hurry that I need a scope mount and scope inmediately, therefore I won't purchase a reproduction. They are anyway more common in Europe.

Regarding the metal, I am pretty sure it's Aluminium. Most probably from an aeroplane, or whatever was at hand.

Sounds like a plan. I have seen a few dug mounts and quite a few dug PEM scopes. A PE will also be considered Soviet correct. Matching condition would be nice but making the rifle complete will be a nice accomplishment regardless.

Looks much better, doesn't it (except for being slightly out of center, but that is due to the different receiver diameter)? Now for the scope - and correct screws ..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 121
Looks awesome. I have really been wanting to build one of these but for the cost of an original PE I just can't justify it

The long story finished now with two rust pitted PEM scope tubes which I found on ebay.com in the US. I bought them since one of the two also had heavy rust pittings, while the other was only the tube without the adjustment knobs, plus it was blank.

From another bulk purchase in the past I've had a "sporterized" PEM scope in my collection, the recoil ring of that scope was milled off, plus a 11mm dovetail clamping scope mount was soldered to it, and over that all being reblued. But the optics were really nice, and that was where I thought I can make one scope out of two.

So attached a few pictures of how it looks now. I might change the stock to another heavily used one when I come across one, but so far the one on the rifle looks good enough for a display. Also note that the scope is slightly offset to the left - the diameter of the K98k and the M91 receiver doesn't seem to be identical.

For all those who plan to do a similar thing: you will have split feelings about such a rifle. Everytime I look at it, I a bit dislike it for the condition it has. On the other hand I know about the high effort which I've put into this rifle, to make it look as it's now. And when I compare it to the pictures which I've also posted here, as I got it, I also feel a bit proud. Preserving history, that's what we do, and that's what's finally left when looking at this rifle.

Well, that is the whole story from my side. Hope you've liked following the posts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg