Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plain Jane bcd 43, W block

Default Plain Jane bcd 43, W block

Picked this up earlier this year from a friend who got it from yet another mutual friend. All in the family I guess. I’ve had a few of these, including a duv 42/749 accepted r block, and they seem to be fairly consistent.

THis one has a typical FN (ch) marked barrel with the "MR" mark that is often found on hi powers, fn bolts and 1922's.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 3371940; 10-03-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Last edited by 3371940; 10-03-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Thumbs up bcd

I like it reguardless. Of note, what is on that tiny shield peeking out on the barrel??
    bys?? I really like those super clear close up's. Not easy to pull off. I have recently added a bcd42 to my collection. I will post some pix when I'm done with her.

Very nice, pic sticked for reference. 337, if you could also upload those to the webspace as stickies that would be helpful. If you ever change providers or clear your uploads those would be gone.
    Cheers,
    HB

Quote Originally Posted by mauser99 View Post
    I like it reguardless. Of note, what is on that tiny shield peeking out on the barrel??
    bys?? I really like those super clear close up's. Not easy to pull off. I have recently added a bcd42 to my collection. I will post some pix when I'm done with her.
    M99:

Thanks! I like it as well! bys and an WaA140 on the bbl. New pic attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Very nice, pic sticked for reference. 337, if you could also upload those to the webspace as stickies that would be helpful. If you ever change providers or clear your uploads those would be gone.
    Cheers,
    HB
    Done. I always forget that! Plus, adding a pic of the C and E18 on the butt here.....

I never find anything plain jane about a nice matching rifle! She is a beauty!

Question Barrel

So, This dual coded barrel is throwing me for a loop..Is it a bys blank finished by f/n? Or visa versa? My bcd42 has a avk/bys barrel 42 dated... oh, Simpson Suhl !!

Quote Originally Posted by mauser99 View Post
    So, This dual coded barrel is throwing me for a loop..Is it a bys blank finished by f/n? Or visa versa? My bcd42 has a avk/bys barrel 42 dated... oh, Simpson Suhl !!
    That’s my understanding. I also have 202 “x” which has an AWS barrel with a WaA140 acceptance.

Plus, my duv 42, 749 accepted rifle SN 2030 R has a Steyr WaA623 barrel. This shows up fairly often on this sub-variation.

So, the variety on these seems to be with the barrels. No wonder Simson loves them!

Yes, Gustloff Weimar is the most interesting rifle maker/assembler barrel wise, -easily the most diverse!

FN is believed to have used semi-finished barrel blanks... KenH originated the idea during our discussions for B&M book; because of the way the barrels are marked. Some "seem" to have the original blank provider markings, and usually these markings are obliterated when the finisher works the blank into a barrel.

Just a theory, but I agree with KenH regarding FN & I believe Edelstahlwerke too.

Ruhrstahl was a large corporation (two separate locations were involved in barrel production), and they did both blanks and finished barrels. You have to look at the waffenamt to tell the finisher- this will identify the finisher every time as a waffenamt is applied to a finished product. (a blank provider would not apply a waffenamt).

In this case the barrel was made by FN, using a Ruhrstahl blank, which is a little uncommon for FN. They used a large range of blanks, but not to many from Ruhrstahl. Edeldstahlwerke, Döhlen and a lot of unidentified ones (I think many are occupied steel firms) are more commonly encountered.

This rifle has been through a lot of collectors I know- I received it in a traded for a decent Gew.98 quite a few years ago, and traded for another rifle 3 years ago.