Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combat Wear

Default Combat Wear

First, I am most delighted to see this site and it's already my home page.

So, let's talk about typically wear patterns that are found.

I am curious when the only real wear is the right side of the bands which are brownish yet the receiver and floorplate are 98%. The bands on the left side are quite nice... any thoughts?

Show us a picture..

I have been studying the effects of "Wall hangers".

I wounder if that applies here..

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is some toning on the LS, particularly on the rear band...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in OHIO View Post
    There is some toning on the LS, particularly on the rear band...
    BiO, that rifle is too nice to illustrate "wear" ;) I'm anal about looking at period pics to check out wear and how weapons are carried.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    BiO, that rifle is too nice to illustrate "wear" ;) I'm anal about looking at period pics to check out wear and how weapons are carried.
    This 1939 MO is v nice, just odd the only place for "wear" is the right side of the bands...
    Maybe a "hanger" per Turbo...

Here's another damn nice receiver and rather worn floorplate...

Another nice one Bob. I think of the various wear points on rifles as individual "character". We are all different sizes and have our own personal ways of carrying and using weapons. A taller soldier, or one with shorter arms, my stand holding and picking up his K98k by the front band and barrel. A shorter person or one with longer arms may grasp the lower band. Balance points at the receiver / barrel and at the floorplate may vary, as will the firing hold points. Multiply this "muscle memory" over a couple years of use and the person carrying the rifle has literally placed his mark on it.

One thing I always notice is the wear on the left side of the barrel directly under the front sight from the thumb being laid along it or touching it.

Any thoughts on these? I see this on many of my stamped floorplates. The two on the right are blued. I can see how holding wear causes the loss of bluing on one end, but seems the change is too well demarcated to be caused by a hand. Is is some method of storage where something is in contact with the front part i.e. strap or rack?

The left one is phosphated and I see this area of discoloration not infrequently. This doesn't seem to fit into a wear pattern. Related to the manufacture process?

That was hardning for the spring release...

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me Bob, it could have leaned up against the wall on that side in the closet, Also the sling would protect the left side of the band and if leaning against the wall on that side would space the gun away allowing some air to get in there and keep moisture down.

It seems a gun only needs a small amount of fresh air that can keep moisture from trapping. Its when a gun is mounted on a wall or leaning on a wall in a closet that traps moisture and starts to freckle.

Could also just be handling from the troops from the war and the sling protected the other side.

Laid on a table on it's right side for a long time?