Third Party Press

Combat Wear

Bob in OHIO

First, I am most delighted to see this site and it's already my home page.

So, let's talk about typically wear patterns that are found.

I am curious when the only real wear is the right side of the bands which are brownish yet the receiver and floorplate are 98%. The bands on the left side are quite nice... any thoughts?

There is some toning on the LS, particularly on the rear band...

Attachments

• 42-1939.72.jpg
    42-1939.72.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 42-1939.66.jpg
    42-1939.66.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 42-1939.17.jpg
    42-1939.17.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 42-1939.70.jpg
    42-1939.70.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 42-1939.71.jpg
    42-1939.71.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 101
  • 42-1939.41.jpg
    42-1939.41.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 42-1939.42.jpg
    42-1939.42.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 92
There is some toning on the LS, particularly on the rear band...

BiO, that rifle is too nice to illustrate "wear" ;) I'm anal about looking at period pics to check out wear and how weapons are carried.

Attachments

• 58_1_b.jpg
    58_1_b.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 144
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2828t.jpg
    IMG_2828t.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3411t.jpg
    IMG_3411t.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 140
BiO, that rifle is too nice to illustrate "wear" ;) I'm anal about looking at period pics to check out wear and how weapons are carried.

This 1939 MO is v nice, just odd the only place for "wear" is the right side of the bands...
Maybe a "hanger" per Turbo...

Here's another damn nice receiver and rather worn floorplate...​

Attachments

• DSCF3104.jpg
    DSCF3104.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCF3126.jpg
    DSCF3126.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 107
Another nice one Bob. I think of the various wear points on rifles as individual "character". We are all different sizes and have our own personal ways of carrying and using weapons. A taller soldier, or one with shorter arms, my stand holding and picking up his K98k by the front band and barrel. A shorter person or one with longer arms may grasp the lower band. Balance points at the receiver / barrel and at the floorplate may vary, as will the firing hold points. Multiply this "muscle memory" over a couple years of use and the person carrying the rifle has literally placed his mark on it.

One thing I always notice is the wear on the left side of the barrel directly under the front sight from the thumb being laid along it or touching it.

Any thoughts on these? I see this on many of my stamped floorplates. The two on the right are blued. I can see how holding wear causes the loss of bluing on one end, but seems the change is too well demarcated to be caused by a hand. Is is some method of storage where something is in contact with the front part i.e. strap or rack?

The left one is phosphated and I see this area of discoloration not infrequently. This doesn't seem to fit into a wear pattern. Related to the manufacture process?

Attachments

• DSC_0061.jpg
    DSC_0061.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 140
To me Bob, it could have leaned up against the wall on that side in the closet, Also the sling would protect the left side of the band and if leaning against the wall on that side would space the gun away allowing some air to get in there and keep moisture down.

It seems a gun only needs a small amount of fresh air that can keep moisture from trapping. Its when a gun is mounted on a wall or leaning on a wall in a closet that traps moisture and starts to freckle.

Could also just be handling from the troops from the war and the sling protected the other side.

Were all the parts blued at the same time and in the same tank on a given rifle? If not maybe a differst mix or worn out salts could cause the blue to be less durable on the small possiblely subcontracted pats such as bands,floor plates and trigger gards.

I would guess the sling in this case.

Bob, what does the TG look like on this one??

attachment.php

Attachments

• 42-1939_70.jpg
    42-1939_70.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 155
Archie- The actual trigger guard is very nice with light toning.... maybe like the right side of the bands, and certainly not as nice as the floorplate. I like the sling protection theory. This one did have a sling on it for a long time...

Were all the parts blued at the same time and in the same tank on a given rifle? If not maybe a differst mix or worn out salts could cause the blue to be less durable on the small possiblely subcontracted pats such as bands,floor plates and trigger gards.

Mauser, steel takes to bluing (or vice versa) differently depending on content and heat treatment. That can account for differences in wear as well.

Here's one that appears to have had a grenade launcher applied...​

Attachments

• Grenade1.jpg
    Grenade1.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 77
  • grenade2.jpg
    grenade2.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 75
This thread reminds me why I love collecting k98s. It was loved, hated, pissed on, bled on, and cherished by some poor kid marching across Europe...

Military Rifle Journal
Back